Author Topic: McColl - descendants of Duncan (c. 1836-1878)  (Read 904 times)

Offline DrElaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McColl - descendants of Duncan (c. 1836-1878)
« on: Sunday 19 August 07 16:04 BST (UK) »
My husband and I are keen to trace descendants of his great-grandfather Duncan McColl.  Duncan was born c. 1836 in Duror, Appin, Argyleshire.  In 1862, while working as a ploughman, he married Ann Stalker (born 1835) at Ashentree Farm, Kilmadock, Perthshire.

Duncan and Ann moved back and forth between Perthshire and Clackmannanshire, but eventually settled in Doune, Perthshire.  They had seven children: Duncan (1864-1955); Kenneth (1865-1943); Ann (1867-1873); Catherine (1869-1876); Jane (1872-1873); William (1874-1951); Mary (1877-1939).

Duncan died in 1878; his widow Ann survived until 1930 - see www.crossgate-moor-research.org

She was survived by her 3 sons, her daughter Mary, with whom she was living, 24 grandchildren and 30 great-grandchildren.  We believe that we have identified all 24 grand-children but the tally of great-granchildren as of August 2007 stands at only 13.

We would be grateful for any information on the descendants of Duncan & Ann.  We know that Duncan junior and his family emigrated to Canada just before WW I, as did the eldest daughter of Mary, with her husband and children, in 1927.   Details of any descendants from Canada or elsewhere would be most welcome.
Names: Fraser; Drummond; Kelledy; McColl (MacColl); Norwell; Ryan; Stalker

Offline Chrengis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McColl - descendants of Duncan (c. 1836-1878)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Dr Elaine,

Aware you made this post about 16 years ago and so may not even be still receiving notifications from this site, however I do believe I could be a descendant of Duncan and Ann McColl from Doune.

My grandmother was born Ann Stalker McColl in 1933, the daughter of a William McColl and she had told me she had family from Doune, but she was brought up in Perth.  I think her father would be the grandson of Duncan McColl, and the son of the William McColl born in 1874.  Therefore I believe my grandmother Ann was one of the 30 great-grandchildren you have mentioned in your post.
Ann passed away in 2019, and she had two siblings, another William and an Andrew McColl. Both of her brothers moved to Canada in the 1950s and they passed away before my grandmother, but have children and grandchildren over in Canada.

As I said you may have managed to trace more of these great-grandchildren in the past 16 years but just in case you are still searching I thought this information could be of use to you!

Chris