Author Topic: 1861 Census Sleet lookup  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1861 Census Sleet lookup
« on: Sunday 19 August 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone please help with a lookup of an Elizabeth Sleet ( could also be slee, sleeth or sleath ) her last known location was Wandsworth
Elizabeth was born in Chelsea in 1815 I believe her husband Francis was dead by 1861 but her daughter Susan Born 1841 may still be with her.

Many thanks

Max

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Sleet lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry Max
Can't find her, even giving her 5 years leeway with age didn't work. Are you sure she was still alive by then?
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
To be honest I have no idea if she was still alive, there is an Elizabeth Sleet listed in BMD in the death index for Wandsworth in 1867 but I was not wanting to part with the £7 for the certificate until I was a little more certain it is the correct person. Hence I was looking for her to still be alive and in the area in the 1861 census.
The last 100% I have on her and her Husband Francis Sleet is the 1851 Census.

Many thanks

Max

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Again
I forgot to mention that I have now also found a BMD death entry for Francis Sleet also in Wandsworth in 1864
The name Sleet is rare in the London area coupled with the christion name Francis it is very Rare, alas the 1864 entry is too early to give an age at death on the index but the 1867 entry does include the correct age for Elizabeth.
If Francis was alive in 1861 he may be a little easier to find as he was born in Lichfield in Staffs in about 1790

Regards Max

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Max
I tried to find Francis with every variable possible in England and Wales— sorry no good. I even tried all variants of Francis born Staffs in case there was a silly mistranscription (I once had a Garner turned into a Turner which was confusing), but still no good. I think it would be worth while to bite the bullet and send for the certs. Maybe Francis and Elizabeth were on holiday in Scotland or Ireland in 1861!
All the best of luck, Rian.
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rian
Thanks for all the work.
My best guess is that they were simply missed on the Census as I think they were a little old to be traveling outside England given that it would seem that they both died in the following few years.
The total lack of candidates in the 1861 census for the two BMD listed deaths in 1864 & 1867 would tend to indicate that they are indeed the couple I am looking for as they are the only people with these names and dates of birth in the 1851 census.

Again many thanks

Regards Max

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they were in a hospital or an institution?
I think I read somewhere that they were not always recorded properly.
Good luck with them anyway.
Rian.
Researching: