Author Topic: TOOGOOD in Somerset  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Daryl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
TOOGOOD in Somerset
« on: Thursday 16 December 04 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching Toogood (also spelt Togood, Twogood, Towgood) in Somerset.

I have so far possibly got back to the late 1600's, but I am still searching!

Most of the Toogoods come from the Curry Rivel area of Somerset (Not far from Taunton), however branches go to Peterborough - Baltonsborough and also Canada.

Any Help would be very much appreciated!

I am also looking for our Coat of arms / Crest, most references point to a shield with 3 Caltraps or a Gloved hand holding a caltrap.  Again any help would be appreciated.
Toogood as far back is c1600 (so far)

Somerset - Curry Rivel, Langport
Bristol
South Gloucestershire
Peterborough - Baltonsborough

Offline Beegen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Toogoods in Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 16:53 BST (UK) »
 ;) Many TOOGOODs in the Wedmore Registers which are on line.

Offline judiplant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Daryl

I have several Toogood's in my tree.  Sample:

Ann b 1852 Semley, Wilts
Frederick b 1905 Shaftesbury, Dorset
Abel b 1820 Semley, Wilts
Jane b 1850 Semley, Wilts (daughter of Abel who married an A'Court from my tree)

Any connection here? :)
Beds:  Armstrong, Baker, Gammons, Wrench, Cowley, Asplin
Som:   Cribb
Devon: Plant
London/Kent: Stewart, Webb
A'Court's anywhere

Offline Dhoneybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Daryl,

I have TOOGOODs in my tree but they come originated from Arundel in Sussex.  I was aware of all of the TOOGOODs in Somerset (used to live there) but thought that they also originated from Sussex.

I do have the following details of the name if that is of interest to you.

The origins of the name TOOGOOD are English & Scandinavian.  THOROUGHGOOD, THROWGOOD, THOROGODD, TWOGOOD are all variations of the same name.  The name reflects personal or moral qualities and are in the same vein as GOOD, GOODCHILD, ALLGOOD & GOODENOUGH.

Some of the earliest records in England are found in Hertfordshire where they were descended from THURGOOD, who was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086, and the name has often been confounded with TOOGOOD.  TOOGOOD has also been found as early as 700 AD in Scotland and also in Norway as TOGOD (Too Proud).

Debbie

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Daryl

There are lots of Toogoods on the Isle of Wight, the IOW Family History Society have a good BMD section. Nearer to Somerset there are a few Toogoods at Meare, although I do not have any direct connection with my family. some are on the following web site

http://genealogy.colinrayner.org.uk/

Best wishes Heather
Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,

Offline sarah1952

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Toogood born 1828 Father William Toogood b1791 civil parish Abbas and Temple Combe. I am trying to connect this with William Toogood who married Elizabeth Kemp in 1851 in Southampton Hampshire who later went on and established Toogood Seeds.
The original information I have on one census William Toogood was born Overton Hampshire 1828 another census Oveton Wiltshire and now I am following a link with Somerset. In 1851 Harriet King is listed as witness at wedding, connection with Kings is via Somerset 1841 census. Help I am going round in circles!!!

Offline Dhoneybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 January 07 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Sarah, 

I took a look at your info and I think you have the wrong lead.  In the 1841 census (the page is very hard to read), if you magnify the page you can see that the father of William was a William also and that he says Yes to having been born in Hampshire as do the rest of the family. 

I also saw that in 1851 a woman visitor from Dorset was visiting the family so perhaps they just happened to know people in Somerset & Dorset.  Perhaps the William in Templecombe was a cousin?  Overton is defiantly in Hampshire and has been there since very times.  In every other census it says Overton, Hampshire so I think the Wilts was just an error.

If you still think it's the William from Somerset why don't you track him as see if can disprove him.  That's what I usually do when not sure of a track.

Debbie

Offline sarah1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for info, I have tracked William Toogood to 1851 when he was living (newly married to Elizabeth Kemp) with William Bridgewater Paige in Southampton he also had George Toogood staying (visitor). The trail goes cold when I try and search the 1841 census. Now he could be either in a boarding school, ophanage or workhouse and he would be aged 13. He definately was born in Overton Hampshire, and was George in 1851 a brother or cousin.george dies aged 18 years in Southampton.
I would welcome any suggestions where I can go next in my search. I thought the link with Temple coombe could be via the King family as there is a Harriet King as witness at their wedding in 1851.

Offline John3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
i am searching my mothers side ( toogoods), Her grand father was William  Fredrick  Toogood b 1844 Bath back to James Toogood b 1690 Loxton.
Have yet to gt get info on some in the tree, if you have any it will be most helpfull & appreciated.
thanks John3