Author Topic: Looking for Quarrie and Hardy  (Read 15707 times)

Offline smiffella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Quarrie and Hardy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 May 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
The Towle's indeed came from England in the 1860's a wealthy family.  In one generation they went from living in a large Derbyshire pile with servants and silverware, then moved the the island to be marred with abject poverty, early death, emmigration and scandal.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately some I have are just scans of the front however George Cowen of Ramsey is written on one, which does then date the image.  Putting this Mary around the turn of the century of 1900.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 May 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
George left a will -will is on Mormon microfilm - will is held at manx museum.
What was the scandal - don't seem to have any record in my archive and no ref in Radcliffe's book on Ramsey
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline smiffella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 May 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Well the main was the two 'forgotten' sons.  George Craddock Towle was married to an Elizabeth Ann Briggs, the two sons from that marriage were left to their own devices when she died and he remarried to a Mary Harding and began a new family.  (George and John) the two sons eventually suffered bankruptcy and various other misfortune which followed them to Australia (Re beginners forum: Finding Myself).

There was more scandal at the hands of one of his children but it wont appear in any book, probably wouldn't raise much more than an eyebrow in todays society.