Author Topic: Please can you help with my GREIG family ?!  (Read 19146 times)

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please can you help with my GREIG family ?!
« on: Monday 20 August 07 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this Chatroom so please forgive me if I get this post all wrong!

I am desperately seeking information on my Gt. Gt. Grandfather James Grieg of Kinneff & Catterline.  I have record he married married Susan Philip on 24/12/1843 in Kinneff and Catterline and was a Ploughman.  I CANNOT find either his Birth Certificate nor that of his wife Susan.   :'(

Now... I THINK that Susan may have been his second wife, as in the 1851 Census at Kinneff, there is a record of a Susan Grieg named as 'head of household' and there is a child, Mary Greig, listed as 'Step Daughter', so I'm assuming that her husband James (who is obviously deceased at this time.  Though is anything EVER obvious in this Family History search!) was married before, his wife died (in giving birth to Mary?) and he subsequently married Susan. Then HE died!

He and Susan had a child James, who eventually married Mary Mowat (or Mouet) and I cannot for the life of me find HIS Birth Certificate either!!  When this James married Mary Mowet, his place of residence was listed as Plashettes Colliery, Fallstone, Northumberland and I'm wondering if James Sr. was in England when James Jr was born? 

ANYWAY, if anyone can help me find more about these family members of mine, I'd be SO GRATEFUL!!!  :)

Many thanks,
Kate.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE CAN YOU HELP With my GREIG FAMILY?!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 07 19:10 BST (UK) »
On LDS I see a James Greig - christening 20/Aug/1797 at Beholm Kincardine (parents James Greig and Susan Ross)

Kinnef is halfway between Beholm and Catterline and they may have taken him to Beholm to be christened. Just a thought ;D

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=GB&addtohistory=&address=&city=kinneff&zipcode=

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Please can you help with my GREIG family ?!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Dear 'For...'

Wow!  What a quick response!  THANK YOU!  :)

Dang!  James Greig & susan Ross - it sounds so CLOSE!  But... I don't think these are the right folks.  The James Jr. I am looking for was born @ 1844.  James Sr. & Susan being married in 1843, I'm thinking that this James you found couldn't be his son... 

It MIGHT be James Sr.  Although he and Susan went on to have three children (according to the 1851 Census).  That would make 'your' James about 44 years old - possible for a male to have children past 40 years old, though I wonder how Susan would manage to have 3 kids if she was round about the same age.  Having said that, perhaps she WASN'T the same age.  According to the 1851 Census I have, she was 42 at the time of registering on that Census.  That would make her Birth date around 1809.  Hmmmmm... perhaps she WAS 10 years younger than James Sr...

Hey, I'm going to keep this information close!  It was a GOOD thought!  And ALL thoughts are greatly appreciated!  :)

Thanks 'For...'!
Kate.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry  ;D I should have said I thought it might be James senior.

If his first wife died and he was a farmer he might have married a younger woman. She might have even been a widow without any children and farmed herself. A marriage of mutual benefit ??? Maybe that's why you can't find her birth because Philip is her married name ??? What are the names of the other three children?

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:52 BST (UK) »
If James married in 1843 then he couldnt have been born after 1828. Who were his parents? There are plenty of records on SP for James Greig born between 1800 and 1828

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there, folks,

Firstly, THANKS very much for your responses... it sure helps 'talking' this through!

Well... according to the 1851 Census, Susan 'Grieg' (note: wrong spelling of Greig) is listed as 'head of household' and she had three children registered:

a son - James Jr. (6 years old, which would tally with the age on his Marriage lines to Mary Mowat)
A daughter - Elizabeth (4 years old)
A son - William (2 years old)
And a Stepdaughter - Mary (13 years old)

You're quite right, 'For...', he may very well have married a younger woman - and she may have been a widow! It was quite usual for a man to remarry after the death of his wife, just to provide his kids with a mother.  I know one of my rellies married three times! But it didn't occur to me that 'Philip' could be her name by a first marriage! DUH!!  >:( So -  GOOD THOUGHT!!  :) With this in mind, I shall do some more checking!

I've no idea who his parents are I'm afraid, Sancti.  It doesn't give them on his Marriage lines! Yes, there are SO MANY James Greigs on SP that without his Birth Certificate, it's terribly hard to pinpoint just which James Greig is MY James Greig!!

What I know is that 'Susan Grieg'  is listed as being born in Oyne, Aberdeenshire, Mary (stepdaughter) born in Drumblade, James in Kineff, Eliz. in Newhills and William in Laurenskirk (again wrong spelling but I know that can be the difference between finding Birth records and not!).  The Census was done in Harriestown.

Soooo... I can only hope that someone, somewhere, has these people in their family too and have managed to find out more than I have!  And would be willing to help me out!

But armed with the information I have and the thoughts and ideas you have given me, I shall keep on looking!  However, if you have ANY MORE 'thoughts', I'd be delighted to listen to them!!

Thanks SO MUCH for your responses...

Best wishes,
Kate.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hey it can happen. I wasn't getting anywhere with my family so I decided to try my luck with my husbands tree.  I put on a post and almost immediately I got a reply. Another chatter saw my post and realized that they knew someone working on the same family tree and let them know about me:o :o :o

That person joined Rootschat just to let me know. With her help I was able to take the family back to 1804. Can you believe it  :o :o :o I'm still a little shocked and dazed at that stroke of luck.  It turns out her  Grt Grandfather was an older brother to my husband's Grt Grandfather.

Mary Ann

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

You won't find a birth certificate for James as statutory recording of births, deaths & marriages wasn't brought in until 1855.

Perhaps you could try the pre 1855 gravestone index, you might be in luck and find James Griegs death and if she had another husband Susans first husband. But I'm a bit scpetical about that, I presume you got Susans info from James' marriage certificate? On the marriage certificate it usually states "ms" or "formerly". Does it say either?

Jean. ???
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 16:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have the correct Susan Grieg on the 1851 census, there are 4 or 5 possibles on SP