Author Topic: MacMaster/McMaster.  (Read 5253 times)

Offline ceitidh.

• RootsChat Extra
  • heaven on earth : ob gorm mor : wester ross.
    • View Profile
MacMaster/McMaster.
« on: Monday 20 August 07 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to obtain any further information on ancesters of mine who lived certainly at one point in Mallaig. In particular, Duncan MacMaster/McMaster, his wife Mary whose maiden name was I believe, Stewart. They had five children that i'm sure of; Sarah, Catherine, Ronald, Angus and Flora. Their son Ronald MacMaster is my great-great-great grandfather.

I know that Duncan was at one point employed as a "Foxhunter" and that he was born c. 1781, though where, i'm not sure. The last I could find record of him is in the 1841 census where he and his family are recorded as living in Mallaig. I'm fairly certain that both he and his wife Mary died prior to 1851, though I can't be certain.

The resulting generations of MacMaster's spread around a little, though there seems to have remained a concentration of them in the Knoydart region; specifically Barrisdale on Loch Hourn. One other branch moved down into Fife and from there individuals went to Australia post World War One; Donald Bain MacMaster and Hector Cecil Stanley MacMaster. One interesting point, is that the occupation of Gamekeeper and a passion for Wild Sports seems to have been passed on from when Duncan MacMaster was employed as a Foxhunter in the early part of the 1800's, down to when my Grandfather was employed as a Gamekeeper from the 1950's onward and in the current generation where both my father and brother are active fisherman.

So basically, to round it off! I'm interested in MacMaster's in and around Mallaig, Glenelg, Barrisdale, Rhunival, Skiary, Inverie, Inverinate. The period being from the 1780's onwards. Just on the off chance that anyone might have or know of any info, any information at all would be most welcomed!

Ceitidh macmaster.
Invernesshire: MacMaster/McMaster, Stewart, MacDonald, Cameron.
Skye: Bain, MacLeod, MacKinnon, MacNab, Bethune.
Fife: MacMaster/McMaster, Paterson, Mowbray, Blyth.
Glasgow: Costello, Haughey, McLaren, McPhee.

Now you may live a different place,
Brought up and lived a different way,
But if you have our blood in your veins,
Then you will know us, know home, know who you are.

- ancestors : albannach

Offline David_Mackay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacMaster/McMaster.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my Knoydart family tree as my mother was a McDonald from Airor.
In the process, I was sent an image of Knoydart gamekeepers which I am sure will be of interest to you!

Best regards

David Mackay

Offline x Caz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 23 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am also trying to find information on McMaster/MacMaster relatives. My grandfather Donald MacKillop was born to Maggie MacKillop from Loch Hourn in 1913. We know that his father's surname was McMaster/MacMaster from further round the loch but that's all we have on that surname. My grandfather's birth certificate has Angus McKillop (sp) 'grandfather' as a witness, who I presume is Maggie's father. My grandfather also had a cousin called Duncan MacKillop from Glencoe, who has a daughter called Ann Armstrong and is in Hartlepool. Also a relation called Neil MacKillop in Elgin or Banff. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 June 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
Suggest that you take a look at the 1911 census to see if there are any M(a)cMasters listed there on Loch Hourn. It's at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - pay-per-view but modestly priced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline x Caz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help  :)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
There is one Macmaster family listed in Knoydart in 1911. Going back to 1901 they appear to belong to the extended family of Ronald McMaster(s), Gamekeeper and Mary Ann Cameron. They had quite a few sons ( at least five).
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline x Caz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel, thanks for your reply. If I'm not mistaken, this particular MacMaster family had 3 sons, Alexander, Angus and (I can't remember the 3rd) who emigrated to America before 1912, so they can be ruled out. I have DNA connections with people from Massachusetts and Halifax, Canada who have MacMasters in their family surnames but I'm struggling to pinpoint anything. Connections with Cape Breton, Canada is a real possibility too.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
There were more than three sons and there were also grandsons. I would be particularly interested in John McMaster age 34 who was with the family in Knoydart in 1911.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline x Caz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 21:02 BST (UK) »
I have the 1911 Census for John MacMaster living with his aunt and uncle in Barrisdale. There is a female visitor in the household with the surname MacEachern. I have DNA matches with the surname MacEachern, just to add to my confusion  :D