Author Topic: Logan from Roscommon  (Read 2851 times)

Offline hochiwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Logan from Roscommon
« on: Tuesday 21 August 07 10:41 BST (UK) »
Amongst my ancestors is a Jane Logan who married a John Potts and was living in Gatehead.  In the 1861 census she was apparently working on a rabbit farm, without her husband, but with her young daughter.  It gives her place of birth as Co. Roxcommon, Ireland, which I assume is Roscommon. She was aged 24 at that time so would have been born around 1837.

In 1851 she was living in Gateshead (Hillgate?) with her mother, also called Jane Logan, born c 1903, from Ireland.  There was also a son, Martin, aged 19, and a lodger, Amy Hicks, aged 16.  Young Jane and Amy worked in a ropery and Martin was a saw mill labourer. There was no father and the mother is described as Head of the household.

If anyone can throw any further light on this family I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

hochiwich.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Logan from Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello hochiwich,

What denomination was the Logan  family ? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher