Author Topic: Torksey  (Read 1053 times)

Offline netnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Torksey
« on: Tuesday 21 August 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help with finding some info on the parents of Harriet Baker. She was born in Torksey in 1829 christened at St peters Church. Parents John and Mary Baker
thats all i know at present. I'd like to know if the parents came from torksey and possibly marys maiden name. can't find them on the 1841 census. Harriet was married by the 1851 census. hope someone can help.
Bradstreet (Norfolk) Coles ( Somerset) Parkins (london) Walker (yorkshire) Holmes (Yorks & Notts) Vernals (yorkshire)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Torksey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
I can't see any likely siblings born in Lincs.

Torksey is just across the river from Notts.  One census gives birthplace as Sutton, Notts.

She married Samuel HOLMES in Rotherham in 1848, but he was from Notts too.

There was a John BAKER from Collingham (close to Sutton) who settled in Yorks (Adwick le Street) with wife Elizabeth.  Harriet was not with them in 1841, so link seems doubtful. ???

A John BAKER married in Sutton on Trent in 1826 ... but to an Ann THORESBY.

Or there was an 1827 marriage in Lincoln to Mary RAWDON ... who knows?

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
A sister church to Torksey was Marton just a mile away.  I have ancestors who have both place names in their family.  However officially their births and marriages are all in the BMD as Gainsborough.   Hope that helps

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Torksey and am happy to go and wander around the churchyard for you if you think it would help, but I have to warn you that a lot of the headstones are virtually unreadable!  I have looked on the NBI in the villages of Torksey, Marton, Newton upon Trent and Kettlethorpe, which are all within a couple of miles and until recently were all covered by the same Rector, but the only Baker I've found is James who was buried at St. Margaret, Marton on 17 August 1900, age 47. 

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline netnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks jill, i'll try and find out some more before you go looking for me, i don't want you wasting your time. It's really frustrating not knowing where they acually came from. Lincs or Notts
Bradstreet (Norfolk) Coles ( Somerset) Parkins (london) Walker (yorkshire) Holmes (Yorks & Notts) Vernals (yorkshire)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 14:07 BST (UK) »
Okay - get back to me if necessary.  I can tell you that there were no Bakers in Torksey in 1841 because I've just gone through the whole village (knowing there wouldn't be much to it!).

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk