Author Topic: robert rogers flintshire born approx 1824  (Read 3125 times)

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
robert rogers flintshire born approx 1824
« on: Thursday 16 December 04 17:02 GMT (UK) »
hello, looking for information on robert rogers born flintshire approx 1824.he was a miner,and was married to a mary handley,but i dont know when??despite prolonged searches..he had a son william born 1848 in bilston,where his wife mary was born.any help in filling in the many blanks would be very much appreciated.thanks julie :-\ :-\
brough staffs warwickshire/taylor rogers lancs/webb rogers staffs/delahunty ireland lancs//

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: robert rogers flintshire born approx 1824
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

you don't say where and what you have already searched....

as you know that William was born in 1848 in Bilston, the family should be in the 1851 census.

That should then give you Marys date and place of birth. You should then follow them through up to 1901, which will give you a comprehensive picture of the family. The 1851 census will also give you names and DoB of any siblings of William, hence giving a good starting point for the date of Robert and Marys marriage.

If Marys place of birth is consistent in the various census', and this ties in with Bilston,  then you can search the parish records for her DoB. You can, also as a starting point assume that they may well have married in her home parish, so you could either search the PR there or try the FreeBMD.

Once you've found a fuller picture, you could then try and identify the mines around where they lived, some of them have good records incl. payroll slips, so maybe, just maybe you could be lucky and find him there.

Good luck

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 04 10:54 GMT (UK) »
hi, thanks for info,i do not have access to the 1851,would i buy that on cd?also where would i go to find records on the mines?as this family were all miners (in various area's).best wishes julie :) :) :)
brough staffs warwickshire/taylor rogers lancs/webb rogers staffs/delahunty ireland lancs//

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 December 04 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Before you buy the CD, I would first of all put a request on the Census Requests board. If that fails, mail the local library.

http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/leisure_culture/libraries/branch/bilston_library.htm

Have you looked at the Genuki site:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Bilston/

Theres a list of possible resources there, that are usually worth following up.

Sorry I can't help with the mines, my staffs knowledge is minimal. However if you search google and dogpile, you should get a fair bit to start you off.
D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 December 04 12:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks for advise,i will follow that up.happy xmas julie :D :D :D