Author Topic: Historical weather records  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Esspeegee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Historical weather records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 August 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Web site that has historical weather going way back! I have used I it to "flesh out" the Family History reports I have done for my family. Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment but, when I get home tonight (around 7:00 p.m.) I will put the URL on here for anyone that is interested.

Regards

Steve

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 August 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
I look forward to that Steve.  It's been on my mind all week that there is a site but cannot think for the life of me what it is!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 August 07 13:24 BST (UK) »
Also looking forward to that Steve.  Just writing this, so that I will be able to find the topic later - unless anyone has a better idea.

Liz

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 August 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Poor young woman!  :'( :'(

Just as well your ancestors didn't migrate to Australia then, Mrs Lizzy - you wouldn't like our summers!  ::) ::) ::)

MarieC

You're probably right, Marie. Trouble is I often feel fine, out in the lovely sunshine, but I forget to drink enough water, or I drink too much and lose all me salt  ;D  and the next day I'm lying in a darkened room with three fans trained on me, whimpering and sipping water! 

Thank you, Steve - I too will look forward to your return home from work and the appearance of the URL!  ;)
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Esspeegee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 August 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Well, I got home tonight and found the website in my Bookmarks but, to my dismay, it was hosted by ntlworld.com and that website is now dead.

The detective in me was immediately roused and I determined to attempt to find if  it was hosted elsewhere. I discovered that the man behind this information was a Martin Rowley. I did some searching and I have now found the information on the following site:

http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/histclimat.htm

It is still fascinating to read and I am sure that many people will find something of interest. I had a sneak peek at 1881 and that year is quite detailed but I will leave you to take a look and see if it helps, or hinders your theory.

Enjoy

Steve

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 August 07 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Steve.  Had a quick browse, looks very interesting.

Liz

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 August 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve  :)  Now we shall have fun!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 August 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Steve ... that's great !   And welcome to RootsChat ... I can see you are going to be a useful bloke !  Ask any questions you have on one or the other of the threads, and there is sure to be someone who can come up with an answer ... just like you did ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melvyn Wallis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 October 07 22:04 BST (UK) »
Your post was some time ago and I'm a new member. If you are still researching try the the following  website.lineone.net/~fight/Stepney/weather.htm  (Stepney Notes: The Weather in London 1114 - 1895)   There has been work done to correlate suicides with weather and also with Phases of the Moon.  Research on human behaviour and moon phase has been undertaken by the New York Police Department amongst many agencies and at least one Police Force in the UK but as with most matters relating to human emotions - the weather and/or lunar phase are likely to be just contributing factors, if indeed they played a contributory role at all but I'm sure you know that.