Author Topic: Dawson/Bennett  (Read 3165 times)

Offline lovey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawson/Bennett
« on: Wednesday 22 August 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for a Jessie Ann Dawson, may have married to a Bennett   who i believe lived in Buckie , i have no idea of birth date or death but we think the death was around 1950's we think she had a son called Ian who was adopted and was placed at Craig Dunain Hospital if any one can help me locate her or offer any advice how to find out her birth date i would be grateful.

lovey
Godleman, Dawson, Bennett, Grant, Black, Guild, Hobday,Kelly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson/Bennett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lovey

There are only seven Jessie Ann Dawsons born between 1870-1906 of which only one birth was in Banff:

1896   DAWSON   JESSIE ANN   F   MARNOCH   /BANFF   161/00 0036

You have  little info on her so hard to be more definite. Bear in mind also that she may have been registered as Janet rather than Jessie which is the most common variant (also could be Jane or Jean just to make life easier).

There is only one marriage showing in Banff for a Jessie Ann Dawson and that is in 1925 to a man called Charles Wright. The only Bennet/Dawson marriage showing is in 1864 which is too early.

Hard to find any pointers for you given there is little info to work on.

Do you know approximately when Ian was born and was he illegitimate?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lovey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I believe Ian Dawson was also know as John Milne who died at Craig Dunain hospital also i think he was adopted, jessie ann could also be known as  JA Bryan ( her married name) do people lie on the birth certificate, maybe she is not who she is! from what is sound like she had a baby down south then went back to buckie. she died about 89 years of age but that does not tie up with my mums birth dates which was 1936

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lovey

The dates/years from what you have said certainly don't seem to tie up  :-\ I also cannot see a marriage up to 1931 between a J* Dawson and a  X Bryan (where does the name Bennett come in from your first post?).

Maybe a way forward is for you to try and find her death cert which may be after 1956 (cut off date for online searches at Scotlands People) to see what info it may contain (husband(s)' names and her parents' names).

Have you tried to obtain Ian Dawson/John Milne's death cert?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lovey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica Thank you so much for your help, my mother was put in a catholic convent, i have applied for her birth records so i am hoping there will be something that  will tell me something about her mother none of the dates add up, she was either very young about 23 or older about 40 when she gave birth, and it seems that jessie dawson is a popular name in scotland i cant find anything on milne name either, the name bennett was a name that we got from some catholic agency. and the convent no longer exists, i would love to get to the bottom of this mystery so  i will keep you informed of how i get on.

lovey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 07 00:10 BST (UK) »
LIBINDX at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp says that Jessie Ann Dawson, wife of James Bennett, died in Weston House, Keith on 15 June 2000 aged 90. She was interred in St Ninians, Enzie, which is the RC cemetery.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lovey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 07 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the link, wow i have progressed so far amazing, just waiting for a few details and hoping i have the right jessie ann dawson this is so exciting :)if i am right i have found  my grandmother and grandfather and hoping to find siblings will keep you informed.

Lovey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 August 07 19:52 BST (UK) »
LIBINDX also says that James Bennett, husband of Jessie Dawson, served as a sergeant with the Seaforth Highlanders and was killed in action in November 1944.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site www.cwgc.org list a James Bennett, Sergeant in the Seaforth Highlanders, service no 2816441, died 6 November 1944, aged 34, and buried in Mierlo War Cemetery in the Netherlands.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lovey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 August 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much just had a look at the website, now i just need their marriage cert i have applied for jessie death cert so hoping i will get some more info have found a connection with a Guild Family in scotland, not quite sure how but have sent an email across. thanks again lovey