Author Topic: BOWLES and GOLDSMITH of Waimate South **Completed**  (Read 23645 times)

Offline Carole25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWLES and GOLDSMITH of Waimate South
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo,

Yes James Nind died on 28 Nov 1915 in Waimate, South Canterbury, NZ.  He was born 3 Jun 1842 in Brackley, Northamptonshire son of Caleb Nind and Elizabeth Evans.
His first wife was Mary Ann Jeacock and they had three children: Elizabeth, Joseph and Sarah. Mary Ann died in Nov 1871 and the two girls died in 1864 and 1872.
Emma was the second wife and she and James married in 1874 just before they left for New Zealand with James's son Joseph. James' brother Joseph and wife and their niece Emma and her husband Daniel Averis (my great grandparents) all came out on the ship "Ballochmyle"".

Emma Nind died in Sep 1904 and James married Ellen Day formerly Blackmore on 10 Jul 1905 in Waimate. James was 63 and Ellen 57. She died on 2 Nov 1937. Ellen's former husband died in July 1901 according to the marriage certificate.

Unfortunately I do not know anything else about Ellen Day. Do you know when she came to New Zealand? Perhaps she brought her daughter with her.
If you could give me some details I may be able to do a bit of checking for you.

Regards Carole
Averis, Averies All; Nind Brackley, Northants;
McLauchlan, Perthshire, Scot; North Canterbury, NZ;
Galletly, Perthshire, Scot; Gaudion, Alderney, Channel Islands; Dickinson Flookburgh, LAN, Witherslack, WES; Bland Flookburgh, LAN; Sloan, Kippford, KKD, Scot; Mills, Northampton, ENG; Graham, Cumberland, London, Lyttelton, NZ

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 13:45 BST (UK) »

Hello Carole

It's all rather confusing, but if you fight your way through the pages in this thread you'll probably know as much as I do about Helen/Ellen Day - that's if I've got it right and helped hugely by Bren and Stephanie and others!

In summary:
Four sisters, the daughters of William and Ann Day who lived (mainly) in Deal in Kent, all made it out to New Zealand probably on different ships.

The eldest, Ann Eliza Day, b. 1826, Canterbury, Kent, married Samuel Goldsmith in Lambeth. They came out to NZ supposedly on the Strathallan around 1859 and settled in Waimate. They didn't have any children of their own.

Elizabeth Day, b. 1828, Canterbury, Kent, married John Bowles in Deal. They came out on the ship Mystery with their two eldest children arriving Lyttelton March 1859. After her husband John died in 1867, she married William Manchester. Elizabeth is my gr-gr-grandmother, and her daughter Minnie (gr-grandmother) was 'adopted' by her sister Ann Eliza Goldsmith née Day!

Caroline Day, b. 1840, Deal, Kent, married Joseph Flanders in Kent. I don't know if they both came out, but in 1882 Caroline married Isaac Archer in NZ.

Helen/Ellen Day, b. 1848, Deal, Kent, married Robert Henry Morton Mayfield in Kent 1865. Their daughter was born 1866, who in 1871 was with her grandparents in Deal, while her mother Ellen was a servant/nurse in Rochester, Kent. Ellen is next seen in NZ marrying John Blackmore in 1889, and James Nind in 1905.

Her daughter Ellen Eliza Ann Mayfield probably did end up in NZ because she is left money in Samuel Goldsmith's will - it is possible that she had stayed in the UK although unlikely.  I don't know when the will was written, I'm guessing quite a long time before his death in 1895.

Where is Ellen Nind buried? I thought she was the one in the Waimate Cemetery, dying in 1918 even though her age is quite wrong (a transcription error, I decided! :-\). If she died in 1937, she had certainly outlived her sisters by a good few years.

Thanks for the info about James Nind. I do get a pleasure being able to put the right dates into my records, even for quite distant relatives.

Cheers
Koromo
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Carole25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 May 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo,
I have been looking through my notes to see what I can find for you. Firstly to clarify the Ellen Nind who died in 1918. She is the wife of Joseph Nind, James' brother.
I have the date of your Ellen's death as 2 Nov 1937 but that may need to be checked. If correct it would make her a fair age.

James Nind worked at Messrs Manchester Bros & Goldsmith on arrival in Waimate in 1874. His wife Nellie was Mrs Goldsmiths sister and when James and Ellen married one of the witnesses was an AE Goldsmith. Ellen Blackmore's husband died on 24 July 1901.

The 1921 Wises directory lists a Mrs Ella Nind in Waimate.

I have found in the marriage indexes the following:
Ellen Elizabeth Ann Mayfied married 1887 to Joseph Henry GRAY. This looks like the daughter.

Cheers Carole
Averis, Averies All; Nind Brackley, Northants;
McLauchlan, Perthshire, Scot; North Canterbury, NZ;
Galletly, Perthshire, Scot; Gaudion, Alderney, Channel Islands; Dickinson Flookburgh, LAN, Witherslack, WES; Bland Flookburgh, LAN; Sloan, Kippford, KKD, Scot; Mills, Northampton, ENG; Graham, Cumberland, London, Lyttelton, NZ

Offline Karaka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BOWLES and GOLDSMITH of Waimate South **Completed**
« Reply #57 on: Monday 07 February 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Christening Notes - Henry Giles Berryman

Zennor Cornwall Baptisms 23 Feb 1859 Henry Giles child of [None given] & Mary Berryman
(Single Woman) of Porthmear, Cornwall, England

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 07 February 11 08:07 GMT (UK) »

Hello Karaka, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Thank you for the baptism of Henry Giles BERRYMAN, which confirms that he was illegitimate.  Actually he is described as illegitimate on the 1861 census, and I find it 'interesting' that in 1851 his mother (with parents etc) is living two households away from a farmer named Henry GILES, with a 21-year-old son also called Henry!

Are you a NZ BERRYMAN descendant?  I hope James - Cornwall, who has also contributed to this thread, sees your post too.

Cheers
Koromo
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline James - Cornwall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 07 February 11 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hey!
Welcome Karaka! (& Hi again Koromo!)

Yeah ... interesting stuff ... I gather it wasnt unusual to name the child after the father in such circumstances, and with Henry Giles junr just down the road, I think he looks like a very likely contender!!

Karaka are you descended from the NZ Berrymans? (I am related to their line back in Cornwall, UK)
James
BERRYMAN
KITTO
HONEY
JAMES
TREWERN
DINGLE
EDDY

Offline flwilper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 02 December 19 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm not able to help with your research but I have a FYI.  My great grandmother's sister Sarah Agnes Fow married Samuel Richardson Skevington in 1890 & they had a daughter Edith Wycherley Bowles Skevington, born July 1899 & died Sept 1900.  I'd always wondered about her name & found that Mary Jane Paget Wycherley married Willie Goldsmith Bowles in 1898.  The Fow family & the Wycherley & Bowles families all came from Waimate, so I assume there was a friendship connection.  Perhaps through the Methodist church ??

Cheers

Lorraine Wilson in Paeroa

Offline kiwielle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 22 September 23 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo
I am researching this tree for a New Zealand descendant.
On an earlier post you commented -
“I believe a younger brother Willie [Goldsmith] Bowles was similarly adopted, all this before legal adoption procedures were in place in NZ.”
New Zealand Births, Marriages & Deaths Online have his birth registered -
1866/21691 Bowles Willie Goldsmith to parents Elizabeth and John
I have not ordered his birth certificate however I would presume if his birth was registered to Elizabeth and John that he would in fact be their child?
Can you or anyone else confirm where he was born please. Researchers on Ancestry have him born in different locations i.e Waituna (as stated in his obituary), Waimate and Timaru.
My third great grandmother’s first husband was a Deal boatman from Walmer who sailed from Gravesend London on board the “Whitby’, preliminary voyage to Nelson New Zealand in 1841.
She arrived with her two surviving children, having lost her two youngest on the voyage, only to discover that her husband John Barnes had high tailed it back to England on the "Arrow" via China.
Mary met a man who had sailed out with her first husband. This man’s wife and two daughters, for unknown reasons had not boarded the Lloyds as planned.
It is all so very interesting.