Author Topic: HODGE/SLATER  (Read 3474 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HODGE/SLATER
« on: Thursday 23 August 07 14:38 BST (UK) »

Looking for info on an ALEXANDER HODGE married ISABELLA EMSLIE SLATER about 1910.They had 3 children, JOHN, ALEXANDER and ISABELLA EMSLIE. I know that one child was  born in GREENFELD ST. ALLOA in 1914. The family later moved to Glasgow.The only other thing that I know about this family is that there was an uncle JOHN(whose) who loved to walk, have a dram and was said to "talk the hind legs off a donkey".

Does this ring a bell with anyone   

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HODGE/SLATER
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 07 17:33 BST (UK) »
Have you got the 1910 marriage certificate from ScotlandsPeople? It will have the ages and parents of both Alexander and Isabella. :)

hume24

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 07 20:50 BST (UK) »

Hi,thanks for your swift reply.I've not got the marriage details yet as I've been concentrating on the other side of the family .But, I've hit a bit of a stone wall there at 1789 so I thought I'd venture forth on this lot.

I'm going to Park Circus next week, hopefully will have a lot more detail after then.

p.s. anyone wanting to visit Park Circus it's very busy- almost a 2 month wait for an appointment

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Doing a free search on ScotlandsPeople, it seems Isabella was born 1883 in Portsoy, Banffshire. She's on the 1891 census with her mother.

Residence: Low Street, Portsoy, Banffshire
Bathia Slater, f, head, 29, fish worker, Portsoy
Mary Slater, f, dau., 11, scholar, Portsoy
Isabella E Slater, f, dau., 7, -, Portsoy
Jeanie Slater, f, dau., 5, -, Portsoy

hume24

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 07 01:39 BST (UK) »

Thanks a million, this sounds very likely. I was pretty sure going by the ages of this couples' children that they were approx. 10years younger than the same generation on the other side of the family who were both born in 1875.

Port Soy, that's a surprise, good job she was born after 1855 'cause I'd never have thought of looking there.

I know that as late as the 1950-60 some relations on the HODGE side were still living in the Alloa area but who or what the family names were I have not a clue.

If I have time is there anything you would like me to look for at Park Circus next week?

Merryhow

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 07 13:41 BST (UK) »

Hi again hume24,

Just to let you know that you found the correct family. Isabella's marriage-Jan 1910, her mother -Bathie Robertson formerly Slater m.s. Goodband/Goodbrand, father John Slater. I haven't been able to chase them down yet.

Thanks again for your help

merryhow

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
I think Bathia was born on the 29th of August 1861 in Fordyce, Banffshire. Her mother was Jane Goodbrand. There's a marriage for Bathia and John Slater in Portsoy in 1880. Bathia (transcribed by Ancestry as Buthien ::)) is on the 1881 census with her mother, Jane (now a Sutherland), and her baby daughter, Mary, aged 11 months. :)

Moving on a couple of years, Bathia married Joseph Robertson in 1895 in Rutherglen.

hume24

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
;D

Hi hume24,

Seems like your doing most of the work on my paternal grandmother's side of the family.But I'm not complaining,like most folk I'll take any help on offer.

As you've no doubt guessed this lot are definitely mine.Trust me to have a Bathia in the family. Where on earth did they drum that up from?

Thanks once again

merryhow