Author Topic: Where are these burial grounds  (Read 5157 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Where are these burial grounds
« on: Thursday 23 August 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where in Dundee the Howff Burial Grounds are.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where are these burial grounds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
The old Howff is in Ward Road, it closed in 1857.

The new Howff Burial ground was in Constitution Road and would now appear to be under the ring road and/or Abertay University Library :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 07 21:36 BST (UK) »
This might help. They seem to be in in Ward Road:

Howff registers of burials [8 volumes] 1772-1925
The [Old] Howff, now a protected monument in Ward Road, was formerly an orchard of the Greyfriars' monastery, and was licensed to the burgh to be used as a burial ground by Mary Queen of Scots in 1564. It was closed to further burials in 1857. The New Howff, or New Burial Ground, or Constitution Road Burial Ground, or Hospital Burial Ground, was opened in 1836, closed to new lairs in 1882, and demolished in 1962 to make way for the inner ring road and multi-storey car park. Abertay University Library has also now been built on the south part of the site. The registers are latterly common to both grounds, the entries being marked 'Old' or 'New' as appropriate. Before 1820 and after 1855 information is very basic. In effect these registers serve as the OPR burials for Dundee. Volunteers from the Friends of Dundee City Archives have been indexing these registers, and work in progress is viewable at www.fdca.org.uk
DCA, MR, SGS (4), TVFHS

Source - http://www.dundeeroots.com/burials.htm

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Nell and Gadget.If the burial grounds are now under the ring road what would happen to all the bodies,there must have been thousands looking at the Howff burial indexes.Also if the New Howff doesnt exist now either where is the burial ground that took over from the New Howff.Surely they couldnt just build on top of hundreds of bodies,or could they.Anne.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 07 22:18 BST (UK) »
It certainly seems possible - there seem to be stories of hauntings around the car park that stands on part of the site.  A call to Dundee City Archives might answer the question.

Another cemetery (at the other end of the country) was lost to the development of the ferry terminal and many of the bodies were dug up and re-interred at another cemetery in mass graves.

Newer cemeteries exist but not sure which one would have taken over.  Both in the western area of the city:  Western Necropolis, now known as Balgay Cemetery, and the Western Cemetery.

Nell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 07 22:30 BST (UK) »
I'll leave Nell to the ghost stories (Nell, what's the link  :-\ ) but I think the law is fairly clear that it's allowed at a certain interval. I've just found this:

Click Here

I know that we had a 99 year lease on my mother & father's grave, so I assume something similar might apply. Very sad but  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the burial records for the Howf graveyard. There is also an index of the Poor Relief records on this site.

The Mod might like to make this link a Sticky.

http://www.fdca.org.uk/howff.htm

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
what's the link 

This is the link which mentioned the hauntings - could just be someone out to make a quick pound or two (after all if Edinburgh is so haunted, why not elsewhere too!)

http://www.paranormaldiscovery.co.uk/haunteddundee.htm

Nell

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
I do believe the ghost stories about the car park and there are very likely to be more that have just not been mentioned.I believe in ghosts and i think if someone was to disturb my grave in years to come i would also haunt the place.I think its terrible that big companies can just come along and build supermarkets and motorways and such with no respect for the dead,just because they are no longer breathing doesnt mean they shouldnt have respect,its a disgrace.My husband and i went to Dundee for 3 days last week to do a little research,i wanted a photograph of 85 Cowgate Dundee where my Grt Grt Grt Grandmother died,after a search we did find Cowgate only to discover that it had been cut in half by a main road,85 was missing so i never got my photograph.I also wanted a photo of the Dundee Royal Infirmary where my Grt Grt Grt Grandfather died,we found out that the patients part had been demolished and only the nursing quarters remained which had been turned into flats,i found this out from the young man on the reception at our hotel,he was in the process of buying one of the flats,his friend who already owns one of the flats had told him that a lot of strange things have been seen and heard in the flats but it didnt put him off.I know times move on and new has to replace the old,its just such a shame that Dundees beautiful old building are being lost for ever,well thats progress.Anne.