Author Topic: GGG Grandparents Marriage Venue  (Read 9682 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: GGG Grandparents Marriage Venue
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 October 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
This is one burial ground and old chapel reported in Glen Shira by the RCAHMS

Maam

Type of Site: Burial Ground, Chapel
NMRS Number: NN11SW 3
Map reference: NN 1232 1271
Parish: Inveraray
Council: Argyll And Bute
Former District: Argyll And Bute
Former Region: Strathclyde

Archaeology Notes
NN11SW 3 1232 1271.

(NN 1232 1271) Burial Ground (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Argyll, 2nd ed., (1900)

Nothing now remains of this burial ground. The New Statistical Account [NSA] (1845) states that children and infants were interred in the burial ground of Kilblaan in the 18th century Kilblaan is listed by Argyll County Council (1914), Scott (1915-61), and Campbell and Sandeman (1964) as a chapel site, dedicated to St Blaan. Campbell and Sandeman suggest that the chapel site is now occupied by Kilblaan farm at NN 128 133, but they make no mention of this site, and seem to have missed it. The Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] also quotes an old man, over 90, stating he was present at the burial of a child at this site about 1800.
NSA 1845; Name Book 1871; Argyll County Council 1914; H Scott et al 1915-61; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

There are no traces of a burial ground at the published site.
Visited by OS (D W R) 8 March 1973.
References
Campbell and Sandeman, M and M (1964 )
'Mid Argyll: an archaeological survey',
Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 95, 1961-2, 68, No. 441,
County Council of Argyll (1914 )
List of ancient monuments and historic buildings in the county of Argyll,
[s.l.], 16,
NSA (1845 )
The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy,
15v, Edinburgh, Vol. 7, Argyll, 26,
Name Book (County) ( )
Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey
Book No. 54, 169,
Scott, H et al (eds.) (1915-61 )
Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation,
Revision, Edinburgh, Vol. 4, 8,

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 October 07 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I am also trying to track down information on burials at Kilmalieu Cemetery, Inverary.  Phoned someone in the Council today, said he would have a look but didn't think they would have records as far back as 1860 - the date I am interested in.  If he is not able to help, he suggested trying Register House (sure he said that though it may have been National Archives of Scotland).

This is the burial ground at Kilmalieu

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Stralachlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 October 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I've uploaded some photos onto Photobucket, so if you follow this link you should be able to have a look.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z286/stralachlan/Argyle/

I have been to the following church yards: Crarae, Kilmalieu, Clachan Farm (behind Loch Fyne Oyster bar), the new Inveraray cemetary at the foot of Glen Shira, Cairndow, Clachan Strachur, Strathhlachlan, and Dalmally. I've taken photos of any headstones relating to Sinclairs in these.

I can see why the Grampians in Victoria are called that, they really do remind me of Scotland. I dont know where in Oz you are.

PS. I've just checked my records, and there were no Greigs or Purdies in my headstone pictures, but that doesnt mean they're not there of course. There was a 1779 roll call of the Argyll estate which you might find interesting. The Lochgilphead council archives has a copy.