Author Topic: GGG Grandparents Marriage Venue  (Read 9680 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: GGG Grandparents Marriage Venue
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 August 07 23:04 BST (UK) »

Hi Little Nell , I think you might be right. It certainly would be Kilmalieu if the  "a " had been included in the spelling of the recorder.
                     I would expect that many of my forbears would have been buried in this churchyard - certainly the Greig family and possibly some Purdie family members. I would love to be able to locate it on a map.
                      Are there parish burial records?
                      Thank you so much for your persistance, Regards, Jean
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
Sadly, there are very few records of burials in the Old Parish Records.  I've looked through the list here:

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files/list-of-oprs-492to551.pdf

and there doesn't seem to be anything.

I understand that the Scottish Genealogy Society holds an unpublished list for Kilmalieu Cemetery -E-mail enquiries to info[at]scotsgenealogy.com
(replace the [at] with @ ) - they may be able to help you.  I still cannot find its exact location.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 August 07 10:17 BST (UK) »

Hi Nell, I have been away for a few days , but I see you are still trying to help and I thank you so much for that.
             I will persue your suggested avenue. I have also contacted a photographer from the area who submits local snapshots to Geograph British Isles to see if he can take a photo of the graveyard for me . I will let you know what transpires, Regards, Jean

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 September 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I am also trying to track down information on burials at Kilmalieu Cemetery, Inverary.  Phoned someone in the Council today, said he would have a look but didn't think they would have records as far back as 1860 - the date I am interested in.  If he is not able to help, he suggested trying Register House (sure he said that though it may have been National Archives of Scotland).

Have not been very lucky tracing my Argyll roots back past their migration to Glasgow pre-1860 as there are no parish records for that part of Argyll.  Maybe there are Session records recording shroud fees or maybe sasines recording purchase of burial plot?

If I hear anything back, will drop you a line.  If you get anything, would be good to hear what you found out.

:) :) :)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
Found Kilmalieu Cemetery.  Find Inverary on a map, then travel in a north-easterly direction along the A83: the cemetery is about half-way from Inverary and the curve at the top of Loch Fyne.
Try this link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Inverary&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&t=h&om=1&ll=56.235647,-5.071478&spn=0.033917,0.070038&z=14

Burial records and monumental inscriptions do survive: I believe they are currently being digitised.

Some local records are posted on http://www.skwebpages.com/inveraray/ (not burial or MIs yet) but if you ask the webmaster for information, he might be able to help.
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Stralachlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 October 07 21:37 BST (UK) »
I've literally just got back from a week doing research up there in Inveraray, and have several phots from the cemetaries around the area on Sinclair graves if this is of use to anyone.

I've also got some general phots of the area of Iveraray, Kilmorich, Strachur & Stralachlan, including Maam in Glen Shira

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 October 07 00:29 BST (UK) »

Hi Stralachlan, I am now several shades of green - one because the English beat us in the World Cup a few hours ago but mostly , I`m green with envy over your week in Inverary doing research.
 I would love to see any of your photos of the Inverary , Newtown , Glen Shira  area as I live in Australia and it is probably unlikely that I will see these places in person.
                          Don`t suppose your research took you to Kilmalieu Churchyard burial ground ? ?
                               Regards, Thommoje

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 October 07 02:53 BST (UK) »

Hi Grey Seagull,
                         You are so clever! Thank you so much for letting me know where Kilmalieu Cemetery is and for that  web site about Inverary.
                          I had located some of my family on the 1851 Census before , but being able to see it all is great. I will get more from that site.
                          The photographs are amazing as many of them are of Inverary around the time my family would have lived there.
                           The photos of Inverary pier, in its early form ,were particularly poignant as my G G Grandfather was the Harbour Master and would have walked the pier almost daily.
                            Thanks again, Jean

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 October 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Might it be Kilmalieu cemetery?  This is near Inveraray, but I cannot pinpoint a map reference for it.  :(

Nell

A good place for looking up places like that is CANMORE, the database of the Royal Commission of Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland.  You can search the database by the name but it can be difficult because of variations in spellings.  You can also search an area by type or category, these have changed so you will need check which is used for burial grounds.  You can also use CANMAP to zoom into an area of the map and then mark part of it and see a list of sites in that area.  I took photographs of war graves and churches for a time and often used it to find burial grounds because some of the ones in the Highlands & Islands can be difficult to find - often these older ones are on the original site of the church and there will be thr ruin there.

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk

The Scottish Genealogical Society do have MI for some Argyllshire burial grounds but only a handful and not including this one.

Martin Briscoe

PS I might have a picture inside the burial ground if any use to you

PPS There are three images in the burial ground on CANMORE but all of one grave
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera