Author Topic: My DEAL surname interests  (Read 21559 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: My DEAL surname interests
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 December 05 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jenny - haven't been to library yet, but haven't forgotten you.

Karen - George Reynolds Bayley was a notable Channel pilot, master of the lugger Albion.  He was lost at sea in 1870.  There is a photo of him in the book "Seamen of the Downs", by George Bethel Bayley, published by Blackwood in 1929.

"Doc" Bailey was the owner of the "Lady Irene", which can still be seen on Deal Beach - see my website (http://www.eastkent.freeuk.com/deal/beach.htm) for pictures.

KPM - Henry Axon of Walmer is described by Bayley as "one of the last Channel cruisers"; there is a photo of him in the same book.  Will Axon was at one time acting 2nd coxswain of the Walmer lifeboat.

I am currently working on a page on Deal Boatmen, which should be online soon.

Twyman is still a fairly common name in the Deal area.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 December 05 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill
Thank you for the info.
Henry Axon is the brother of my grx2 grandfather.  Someone kindly forwarded me a copy of his photo from the Seamen of the Downs.  I believe Henry was also aboard the lugger Albion when it down, but fortunately survived.
I would be really interested in your page on the Deal boatmen.  I believe that Henry's son - John Gard Axon (known as Slam?) was also on the Walmer lifeboat but as yet I haven't been able to find out too much, so if you come across any other Axon's involved I would be really grateful if you would let me know.
I'm not sure if it would be of any interest to you and your page on Deal boatmen but the Axon's also owned the Lugger Walmer Castle (previous the Petrel) which sunk quite tragically in Horseshoe bay in Ventnor IOW.  I have  a fair bit of info on this and if you are interested I will happily forward details to you.
KPM (Anne-Marie)
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 December 05 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Dear - my failing memory let me down again!   :-[

Freddy Upton and the Dadd brothers were on the Walmer lifeboat!  I just found the picture in June Broady's book.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Karen Mapp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 December 05 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bill. I am trying to locate quite a few Deal ancestors, unfortunately a fair few brick walls are appearing. Especially with Bailey being spelt so differently through the years.

Offline JenniferB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 December 05 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thats OK Bill none of us are infallable
Thought it was the Walmer boat.  Its a good book by Jean Brody isn't it?
Still would like to know if poss if they were brothers and who was their father, and even more, I would love to know why Lardy??  surely not his christian name.
Regards
Jenny
York/e  from Beds and Northants
Palmer from Northants
Dadd from Deal in Kent   
Smith from Walmer in Kent

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 02:19 GMT (UK) »
OK Jenny - will see what I can find out after Christmas.  Have a good one.  :)

Regards, Bill

Offline Pomcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 January 06 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill i am looking for any information on the Harris family partically my great grandfather who name was Patrick and his wife Julia, they lived in Middle st Deal.
Also any info on my Mothers Family name Carpenter, I believe they may have lived in Union rd at one point but think may be from Sandwich area.
Love your website with all the old pics of Deal they bring back many memories. Colin. :)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 January 06 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Can you let me have some more information - approximate dates, etc. - to give me an idea where to start looking?

Regards, Bill

Offline Pomcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 February 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill
Sorry for not replying straight away i have been busy.
I think my great grandfather was Patrick john Harris born about 1865 In Canterbury and my Grandfathers name was Patrick George Harris born about 1885 born in Deal.
I did have a lot of information that i found from another person on another website but have lost both contacts name and website.
Hope this helps. Colin