Author Topic: My DEAL surname interests  (Read 21558 times)

Offline Skyhawk14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My DEAL surname interests
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 09 March 24 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill
Thank you for the info.
Henry Axon is the brother of my grx2 grandfather.  Someone kindly forwarded me a copy of his photo from the Seamen of the Downs.  I believe Henry was also aboard the lugger Albion when it down, but fortunately survived.
I would be really interested in your page on the Deal boatmen.  I believe that Henry's son - John Gard Axon (known as Slam?) was also on the Walmer lifeboat but as yet I haven't been able to find out too much, so if you come across any other Axon's involved I would be really grateful if you would let me know.
I'm not sure if it would be of any interest to you and your page on Deal boatmen but the Axon's also owned the Lugger Walmer Castle (previous the Petrel) which sunk quite tragically in Horseshoe bay in Ventnor IOW.  I have  a fair bit of info on this and if you are interested I will happily forward details to you.
KPM (Anne-Marie)

Hi Anne-Marie. Apologies, I unsure how to message you directly. Henry Axon is my 3x great grandfather (I am related via his daughter Elizabeth Axon who married William Macey). I am really interested in the Axon side of the family as I have not managed to contact any relatives from this side. I would very much appreciate any photos or information you are happy to share!

Graham

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 22 March 24 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Graham
I have rejoined Rootschat with difficulty after a long absence and am able to provide information about the Axon family but am sending this in advance to make sure it works.
Regards
Alastair

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 22 March 24 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it did. I came across your post when I rejoined and notice that you are descended from Henry Axon. From the booklet 'The Axon Family of Deal and Walmer' which lists all Axons and their dates, John Guard Axon was one of ten children of Henry David Axon, (24) Mariner of Walmer and Jane Sellaway (23) of Lewisham, d/o William Sellaway, Cooper. They married at St Mary's Church, Upper Walmer 6 March 1872.
Henry was one of twelve children of William and Elizabeth Axon.
You're quite right about the boating tragedy. The lugger Petrel was owned by Alfred George Axon who set sail inMarch 1878 and was never seen again. The empty vessel was found drifting and half full of water off Brixham with no sign of the crew. The Petrel was brought back to Walmer, refitted and renamed Walmer Castle.
On 15 March 1892 the Walmer Castle sank in Horseshoe Bay, IOW with all hands including Henry David Axon, skipper and owner and his brother David Charles Axon (not your Henry, they were the children of William and Elizabeth). All the crew werepilots looking for ships needing a pilot off the Isle of Wight. Other crew members were James Hoile, William Gilchrist,James armold and William Cushney. All are buried in Shanklin cemetery.
I hope this is of some help to you
Kind regards
Alastair