Author Topic: fairly priced researcher  (Read 1439 times)

Offline quiffdo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
fairly priced researcher
« on: Saturday 25 August 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anybody reccomend a decent researcher that is fairly priced that they have used before please? (not asking much)

Moderator comment: please pass info about commercial researchers by PM if you can recommend somebody.

I have a william wilson that i have been looking for, for quite some time now.
I have his death cert from 1907 which states he was 40 when he died which makes his birth date 1867 and i have his marriage cert from 1885 which states he was 21 which makes his birth date 1864.

Im pretty sure he was born a protestant and later changed to being a catholic when he married.

One of my rellies from ireland did a 5 year search with the reg office in belfast and came up blank (from 1866, 2 years either side).

On the PR of his marriage, it stated that his mother was called Ann Rice and the cert stated his father was also William Wilson a publican who was deceased before he was married (another death i cant find)

Just thought id give details to check if you think this is enough to give a researcher.

Danny
wilson,mckenna,rice,murphy,whelan,gerrity,walsh
gerraighty

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: fairly priced researcher
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 07 08:24 BST (UK) »
Might be very difficult to find a birth certificate. To start with William Wilson is a very common name, as you probably already know. And then there's the year of birth. You mention that marriage gives age as 21 but this could mean that he was 21 years old or over age 21 years. If he was just 21 years old that takes you back to the very start of civil registration in Ireland. Taking the age at the time of his death the birthdate would be about 1867 but birth registration was not compulsory until 1870 so the birth could easily gone unregistered. Another possiblity is that the birth was registered without a Christian name.
Have you tried getting his parents marriage certificate? Protestant marriages were part of the civil registration procecss from 1845 onwards.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline quiffdo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

I've had a look for his parents marriage and i come up with nothing.

Everything i can think of has come up blank.

That's why i think a researcher would now be my best option.

Danny
gerraighty

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 07 15:53 BST (UK) »
could'nt find a marriage for a wm. wilson &ann rice. but i found this, it could be wm. parents.

JAMES WILSON TO MARY RICE 6-4-1866. @ WOODBURN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. CARRICKFERGUS, LARNE, ANTRIM.

BIRTHS FOR THIS COUPLE. ROBERT 19-6-1866.  JOHN 5-11-18-70.  JAMES 6-11-1872. ALFRED 12-9-1874. ALL BORN CARRICKFERGUS, LARNE, ANTRIM.     FROM CIVIL REG.

FOUND THIS BIRTH ON IGI FAMILYSEARCH.ORG      WM. WILSON  12-1-1869 CARRICKFERGUS, LARNE, ANT. PARENTS. JAMES WILSON & MARY RICE.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline quiffdo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

That does look very promising.

I think ordering that marriage cert is my best option as his occupation before he was deceased was publican according to his sons marriage cert.

Thankyou very much, a lead at last ;D

Danny
gerraighty