Author Topic: Robert Corkill/Corkhill  (Read 4453 times)

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Corkill/Corkhill
« on: Saturday 25 August 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
New to IOM research so help me out. I am looking for details about Robert Corkill/Corkhill born ca 1821 details on index for death give his parents names as James and Ellen unknown.  Robert and wife Ellen/Helen/Eleanor died in Perth Australia in 1905 and 1906 respectively. I cannot find a marriage for Robert and Ellen who arrived in South Australia in 1852 occupation given as Miner.  I note a Robert on the 1851 census of Penninghame, Wigtownshire Scotland surname given as Corkal born IOM so presumably he married between 1851 and 1852. I believe Robert to be either a brother or some other relative to my 2xggrandmother Mary Ann McCorkill who arrived SA in 1847. Any help greatly appreciated.
Robeena
Bennett, Logan, Simper, Brooker, Smerdon, Hall, Deely,

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Corkill/Corkhill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
probably son of James Corkill + ellinor Cowin (m Maughold 1815-11-04) bapt Mau 1821-11-04 - farming Dreemskerry in Maughold in 1841(Mau dist 2 page 9 - a transcript of the maughold 1841 census is online at iomfhs web site iomfs.im) (with a large family)  - missing from the 1851 Maughold entry and interestingly the younger son John appears to be taking over the farm as he is there with his family living with parents.  There was a mine in Maughild (iron) but many of the miners did go to Cumberland.
http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes - might be a good place to try for Maughold info as one poster has complete transcripts of the parish regs
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
Thank you for your reply. Is the baptism you found anywhere online? Seeing as an iron mine is in the area it does sound very like the right person. The churches on IOM are they generally Anglican. Sorry to be so totally lacking in knowledge about the island.
Robeena
Bennett, Logan, Simper, Brooker, Smerdon, Hall, Deely,

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
all these questions and many more are answered at www.manxnotebook.com
any thing with a Manx Connection