Author Topic: Southern/Southan/Davis/Davies  (Read 945 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Southern/Southan/Davis/Davies
« on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Many of my ancestors were illiterate. As a result their names were spelt differently by various clergymen, registrars and census enumerators.
My biggest unsolved problem is the marriage of Mary Ann Davis or Davies to Thomas Southern or Southan. This almost certainly took place in Chepstow or in the nearby parish of Llanarth during 1867 to 1869. I have searched everywhere that is available to me but cannot find any marriage that fits, even accepting a wide choice of misspellings.

Mary Ann says on her second marriage in 1893 that her maiden name was Davies and her father was William. In the 1871 census she is 20 and born Lllanarth. In other censuses she says Abergavenny. Her age is consistent with a birth year of 1851 on all occasions.

The couple's first son, William Albert was born 19th Oct 1869 at Chepstow. They lived at the Kings Arms, Upper Church St. Chepstow but he was a farm labourer. Did she work at the inn or did her parents run it? At this birth registration she is Davis - unable to write - married to Thomas Southan.

It is entirely possible that they were never married or that the marriage was never registered [not compulsory at that time]. All other family weddings were C of E and registered.

I am aware that some people may have Chepstow Parish Records covering this period and would appreciate a search for the marriage.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk