Author Topic: How close is ..........  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How close is ..........
« on: Friday 17 December 04 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have my grandmother born in Morpeth on June 26 1870
Found an entry on familysearch for a christening on 28 September 1870 at Cambois.

Could someone please tell me if these two places are close to one another?

Have found an entry on freebmd which could be the death of the man that was supposed to be her father in 1866. If these places are close by it means that i am one step closer to proving to myself that the assumption that i made that the boarder listed with them in 1881 was her natural father.

The shame of it .... lol .....   ;)

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How close is ..........
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 04 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki,

They seem to be about 10km apart....At http://www.streetmap.co.uk/  you can get maps of places in the UK (and also streetmaps)...I like to look to see exactly where my ancestors ere living in different censuses. Cambois seems to be a small village on the coast and might well be in the Morpeth registration district http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/nbl.htm#morp has a list of places registering in Morpeth and includes a Cambo (could be short for Cambois ?)

Regards,

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline fionar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 04 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
As far as I know Cambois is about 10kms from Morpeth.  According to my better half it used to be a small mining village which is on a peninsular of land cut off by the river Blyth on one side and and the river Wansbeck on the other.  Which he reckons meant that the most quickest and direct form of access to the village was by a ferry. The river Wansbeck is the river which runs through Morpeth and I'm fairly optomistic that they would be in the same registrations district.  Hope this is interesting to you!
Fiona :)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 December 04 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. Now just need to go the next step and find out when the local LDS centre is open to see if i can view the original image to see if anything interesting shows up on it.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 December 04 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Jaki,

Cambois ( locally pronounced "Cam'us" or "Cam'iss")was a small community grown up around a coal mine ( now long-closed). It lies about 1 to 2 miles north of Blyth
( town with largest population in modern-day Northumberland), on the coast.

Unfortunately the River Blyth seaparates the two. Once a chain ferry allowed Cambois folk to get to Blyth fairly easily. But that also has gone. So journey today would be 7/8 miles by road and via a bridge to the west.

The towns of Bedlington and Bedlington Station lie about
3 to 4 miles westward. Ashington ( once reputed to be the " biggest mining village in the world" ) lies 4 or 5 miles
north ward and Morpeth is about 8 miles north-west.

For registrations of BMDs, Cambois lay within the area administered by the District Registration Office at Morpeth.
But DRO was sub-divided into 3 sub-districts, at Ashington, Morpeth itself and Bedlington. So Cambois folk would register all their BMDs at Bedlington.

For Censuses Cambois was regared as part of Bedlington.

Cambo ( pronounced Cambo.. LOL ) lies about 12 miles due west of Morpeth, in rural Northumberland, and is prettier than once-industrial Cambois.

Cambois was in the eye of the world earlier this year, when the 4 massive chimneys of it's power station were demolished ( many photos on Internet)

For info on mining in Cambois, see >www.dmm.org.uk< which has details all north-eastern coal bits.

Hope this is of interest.
Michael Dixon,
Blyth
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Adam and Jane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 05 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Jaki

In response to your question. Cambois (near to Blyth) and Morpeth are very close. Both are situated in Northumberland, England.

Cambois is on the coast, and Morpeth is about 5 or 6 miles in land.

Hope this information is of help. Any other local info required - let us know.

Adam & Jane