Author Topic: Kent Churches Open to Visitors  (Read 3280 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Churches Open to Visitors
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Billans,
Thanks for that useful info. When you say the church, I take you mean that you will be able to examine the records in Canterbury Cathedral for 15 pounds an hour.

No, sorry, I meant the actual church - their charge for me to look at their records would be £15.00 per hour.
I don't think there is a charge at the Canterbury Archives. You just have to have a ticket which may incur a small charge but you will need your passport I think to get the ticket.  Here's a link to the archive site.
http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/archives-and-local-history/archive-centres/canterbury-cathedral-archives.htm

that should clarify things.  Most of the records you will see at the archive will be on microfilm or microfiche, or transcribed records, but you may get to see original records such as Poor Law Registers (Workhouse admissions and discharges) you can check the archives for their holdings and decide what it is you are interested in seeing,
Bill or Casalguidi will know I'm sure.

At the London Met.Archives I did see the Admission Register for the Workhouse where an Ancestor was born! even gave me the diet he and his mother were allowed.

Cape Town at Christmas - wonderful!  I've not been at Christmas! But The Winelands are a favourite place to stay of mine especially Franschoek or Constantia.
I'm not sure when I'm going to go to Kent but hopefully in the not too distant future, I'm checking out church records on film at the local LDS centre just now...
newbie  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Newbie for the additional information and the website address. I hope you are successful in your LDS  research.
The Winelands are marvellous and Stellenbosch is another favourite.
Billans.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 August 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify

Most parish registers have been deposited with county or diocesan record offices, such as Canterbury Cathedral.  In order to use the facilities at these archives you will need a CARN (County Archive Record Network) Reader's Ticket, which is issued free of charge on production of 2 passport photos and evidence of identification, such as a passport or driving license.  You may need additional proof of address.

Once you have obtained your CARN ticket (on your first visit to an archive) you can use it for any of the record offices (but NOT the National Archives - different reader's ticket required).  You will normally need to make an appointment to use the readers.  Use of the archives is free, although a small charge is made for printing copies from the films.

Most of the registers at CCA have been microfilmed so you will not usually get access to the original books.

Where the registers are still in use at the parish church, the incumbent may make a reasonable charge for access, hence the £15 per hour quoted by Newbie.

Many of the Kent registers have been transcribed by the Kent FHS and are available on microfiche and/or cd.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 August 07 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
I've just returned from a pleasant break at Waterton National Park. Thank you for the comprehensive info., which I shall have to digest before finding out more about several specific parishes that I'm most interested in.
Again, I'm much obliged to you for the useful input !
Regards,  Bill