Author Topic: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??  (Read 28862 times)

Offline jm12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan

Yes I understand that the Ralf and Mary Trelsa from Middlewich are only in our tree provisionally on the basis of  circumstantial evidence. I am just wondering what the records are that link the children as possibly from both locations?

Do you therefore have marriage or death details of any of the Oakes sibs (particularly the pre-Elizabeth 1776 sibs) that locates them in Backford - that is apart from younger sibs Daniel who married Elizabeth (and died 1854) and Peter who married Sarah Broster.

all the best

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
From memory John - William Oakes- Ralph and Marys firtsborn ..IF IT IS THEIR SON marries Margaret Griffiths ...I will have to check on wwww.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb and also my tree to see the matches
allan
added...got to go for grandchildren soon so I may be away from pc a while
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline JO07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
I found a post of yours on the geneologist's website, as follows:

William oakes / Margaret Griffiths 12th october 1779
William Williams / Mary Oakes 9th nov 1790
Samuel Oakes to Jane Rowlinson 2nd September 1797 all Backford
just found Joseph Oakes with children baptised in Backford also...and Thomas Oakes

That covers 3 marriages with children ~20 years old, so seems credible.
Would like to see details of christenings, too- particularly of Thomas, if, as you say, you found them. And any other information you can provide.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 May 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Which children ??  Backford or Middlewich ?
Backford  www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb
Middlewich  www.familysearch.org    - search - Familysearch Record Pilot
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline JO07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 May 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
Allan,

I'm particularly interested in Thomas's children after he moved from Middlewich to Backford.
I was under the impression you have a record of them and could pass it on- thereby I wouldn't have to duplicate what you had already done.
If not, I can do the searches myself.

Thanks, John

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 07:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning John...I have just checked my tree and I don`t have a wife or children for Thomas Oakes born 1761...I would be interested to see what you find
allan :)

Offline JO07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Allan,

Maybe I misunderstood your comment on the geneologist website:

just found Joseph Oakes with children baptised in Backford also...and Thomas Oakes

which was included in the enlarged quote of yours given in my penultimate post!

I took it as meaning you found children of Thomas baptised, as well as Joseph.

So, as I understand it, you have evidence for 5 children that could have moved from Middlewich? As well as burials that could be of Ralph and Mary Trelfa?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
No...I have no evidence at all....I have Mary Trelfa and the first 6 children as possibles as the wife and Children of Ralph...I KNOW the  4 children babtised at St Oswalds are the children of Ralph and Mary...but Mary who ???
other people have suggested that Ralph and Mary in Backford are indeed Ralph Oakes and Mary Trelfa who moved from Middlewich....as stated earlier ...I have had Mary Trelfa on my tree in and out TWICE....I have NO evidence that Ralph and Mary in Backford are Ralph and Mary from Middlewich...it has been pointed out to me that the earlier children of Ralph Oakes and Mary Trelfa in Middlewich could be the ones who marry in Backford as the names tally.....
as far as my tree goes ...back to Elizabeth Oakes babtised 1776 St Oswalds ,Backford father Ralph Oakes / mother Mary is the furthest I go back with concrete records....Ralph and Marys deaths on CPRDB give me a year of birth for them..1727 and 1736
the Mary Trelfa and babtisms in Middlewich and Ralph in Middlewich have a question mark next to them ...it was suggested to me to add them to my tree with the proviso of adding notes that I have no proof whether Mary in Backford is indeed Mary Trelfa from Middlewich...it`s a likely but not a definite
allan

Offline JO07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, I understand the problems in you- or anyone - has in gathering unambiguous rather than circumstancial evidence, Allan.

Don't want to labour the point any further, but can you just clarify one small point;

you mention the first six children as possibles.

whereas only 5 are mentioned in my earlier post, taken from one of your posts on the geneologist's website:

William oakes / Margaret Griffiths 12th october 1779
William Williams / Mary Oakes 9th nov 1790
Samuel Oakes to Jane Rowlinson 2nd September 1797 all Backford

with Samuel being outside the first 6.

I'm just a little confused!