Author Topic: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??  (Read 28863 times)

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??
« Reply #72 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan and John,
  As I Thought there were two different girls who married the two Merrick brothers.
 First John Merrick of St Peter married Elianor Davies of Hereford All Saints 30th April 1745 at Hereford Cathedral by licence it says John Merrick staymaker aged 20 years and Elianor Davies spinster aged 21 years.At All Saints there was 14th march 1749/50 buried Elianor wife of John Merrick, John then married Frances Gladwin 5th July 1750 (this is my direct line) in later years after Frances died Elizabeth Greenway both being widows in 1766 at All Saints.
Simon (john`s younger brother) married Eleanor Davis 29th May 1755 in Norton Canon by licence Simon of Letton and Eleanor from Norton Canon,
Eleanor died 9th March 1765,
Simon then marries Elizabeth Stringham in Norton Canon 16th April 1767.
I believe John and Simon`s parents were John Merrick and Ann (Anne) James they married 30th April 1715 in Staunton on Wye by banns.
John born 1725 and Simon born 1728.
John 1725 later moved and set up as a Staymaker in The City of Hereford  where he became a freeman.
Simon I believe stayed around Norton Canon a farmer it is this Simon which is your direct line.
I will add more later regards Steve.

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 15 July 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Steve (and Allan)

Allan and I have similar Merrick descent and I concur with the information he has. IGI as follows:

Groom's Name: Simon Merrick
Bride's Name: Elianor Davis
Marriage Date: 29 May 1755
Marriage Place: Norton Canon,Hereford,England

Simon 12 years later married, I believe, Elizabeth Stringham on 16/4/57 also in Norton Canon hence youngest 5 children including son Joseph have mother Elizabeth. However I guess we would want to see details of death of Elianor Merrick to be sure that is the case and it is the same Simon Merrick in each case.

However I do have Anne James c.1695 Staunton on Wye and John Merrick c.1686 Staunton as Simon's parents. I have no parents for Anne James though so if you have details which prove parentage that would be really interesting.  I have John 1725 as brother of Simon but no other confirmed details for him. Are you still from Hereford area? I live central Hereford and some photos of Merrick graves in Norton Canon churchyard.

best wishes

John Martin

Thanks John....saves me going back to research....I also have John and Ann as Simons parents...feel better now...I thought I had botched up somewhere....lol................allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 16 July 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi John and Allan update,

John Merrick who married Ann James I believe (open to be proved wrong) is the son of John Merrick of Monnington on Wye and Letton and Alice Morgan of the same parish, he was bat 1686
(William James had referred to John Merrick Jnr husband to his daughter Ann in his will).
John and Alice had further children
1690c Simon (he married Margery Ferra 1720 Letton) probably a childless marriage
1695 Elizabeth (Staunton on Wye) she married Edward Waters of Almely, blacksmith
1698 Alice (Staunton on Wye)

After Alice John`s first wife died he remarried
Constance Prosser 1702 (Staunton on Wye)
they had the following children
1703 Josiah (Staunton on Wye) buried 1703
1705 Constance (Staunton on Wye) she married John Pinches 1730 Letton.

Some thing I forgot before John Merrick and Ann James also had a daughter 1718 Elizabeth and she married George Davis 1746 Hereford Cathedral

sorry there are so many John`s

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update...been to Pontins, so that`s why my appreciation is a little late.....I had Constance Prosser ...and there is  (somewhere) in my notes a burial of a Merrick ,with a Ferra...this always intrigued me, but now I have an inkling why ....maybe Marjery was buried with her mum or dad ....anyway...I will update my tree ...cheers again....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jm12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Dear both
this is interesting stuff. I can't seem to find much of this info on IGI - do you have citations Steve ? I have found the Margey Ferra marriage on IGI though. That is interesting.

I have some Ferrars related to the Merricks. Perhaps they interconnect more than once. Mine start with Sarah Ferrar 1789 – 1825 (father Samuel I think) who married John Merrick , Harriet Ferrar Merrick 1822 – 1887and John Edward Ferrar Merrick 1825-1884

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi John, Many years ago I had two lots of research done on our family. Firstly Mrs Tonkin helped me a lot to get back to the Merricks in Hereford City, There has always been a lot of different Merricks and it was very complicated at first and a lot of research was done on the Merricks of Ledbury saddlers which  go back to your family of farmers in Weobley, Norton Canon and nearby parishes. It was thought at first that this was my line but further research proved that my family were freeman Staymakers in the city.Secondly my father commissioned  somemore research through Eleanor Harris, She was able to go into my family in greater depth not only proving without doubt what Mrs Tonkin had found but finding some fantastic papers and adverts in newspapers on my family.My problem has always been in proving John Merrick 1725 and John Merrick who married Frances Gladwin were the same person, everything points to it but I have to be sure. I have as I said got alot of information (too much to put on here) about your side of the Merricks Simon who married Elinor and Elizabeth, Perhaps later we might be able to meet and exchange notes.
regards Steve

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Without proof but I do believe in time it will come to light I believe our familys in someway or another are linked to Simon Merrick of Burghill  he became the vicar of Burghill 1635. his son John Merrick entered upon his Haberdasher and Feltmaking apprenticeship 1648 to Christopher Dewe of Hereford haberdasher

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
As you have probably been told before the IGI is not complete and not without mistakes my researches used origanal parish records wills old newspapers and other papers held at the Hereford Record Office , Hereford libuary and Hereford Cathedral Records
regards Steve

Offline herefordman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Something to get your teeth into,
John Merrick of Huntesley in Letton, Yeoman.
will dated 1751 proved 1755 by Ann his widow

legatees    wife Ann Merrick
                 son John Merrick
                 son Simon Merrick "to educate and maintain granddaughter Anne Davies
                 son in law George Davies
executors wife Ann and son Simon
testator John Merrick
interesting witness  Anne Jennings