Author Topic: 1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Comber Co. Down  (Read 13332 times)

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Comber Co. Down
« on: Monday 27 August 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking to locate Hugh Megraw from Comber Co. Down in the 1901 Census of Ireland. All I've been able to find is the following vague reference from the CAORA © website:

Hugh Megraw
Comber Hill
Head   
Comber 1901_Census Comber Division

Is there someone who can do a lookup for me?

Thanks

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Hugh Megraw in Comber Co. Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
my first reaction is if that free information is vague, you have grave problems ahead. In my opinion, you owe an immediate apology to Caora.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry... I meant no disrespect to Caora.  :( A poor choice of words. What I meant to convey was "condensed information".

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
Considering the 1901 Census is not indexed you are very fortunate to have found the name and area so quickly.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hmmm... my very first post on RootsChat and I seem to have stirred up some "resentment" or something. I'm a newbie to genealogy and not familiar at all if/how the information I want is available from the 1901 census. Sounds like I should be thankful with what I have and leave it at that.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
I think the problem is that too many people expect everything to be available on-line, be indexed or even that all possible records still exist.
You have in probably a very short time discovered that there is an entry for 1901 census with a name and area. Some of us spend years pouring over census records looking for any trace of family (and often not finding them where we think they should be).
1901 Census records for Comber available to order from your local LDS library (4 rolls) and 1911 census (6 rolls but showing townlands) is also listed in LDS catalog. There is a small fee for the loan but your LDS library will be able to give you more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Comber Co. Down
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey for lettting me know about this resource.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Comber Co. Down COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey for helping Quickdraw to appreciate things. 
So Quickdraw heres my contribution for your Megaw in the civil parish of Comber.
Megraw,   Grace,   Ballywilliam Comber,   Down: North,   Comber,   1st Presbyterian Church,   1912 see www.proni.gov.uk/covenanters,  ,
Megraw,   Margarett A,   Ballynichol Comber,   Down: North,   Tullynakill,   Homes,   1912 see www.proni.gov.uk/covenanters,  ,
Megraw,  A, Mr. A. MEGRAW . Comber Served In 1st World War 1914,  1918; Named On Monument Photo Available,  See freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/ ,  S
Megraw,  John, John MEGRAW . Comber Received Prize At Magherascouse School Presentation Oct 1898 Msch P20,  See freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/ ,  S
Megraw,  Thomas, Thomas MEGRAW . Comber Received Prize At Magherascouse School Presentation Oct 1898 Msch P20,  See freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/

Out of that information I note Thomas and John are at the same school in 1898, that school may have a register of parents or exact address of children. [are there any twins in your family?]  Their births might be found on familysearch online.if not Ros Davies lists]
The voting office was the local 1st Presbyterian Church{hall}.  If the family is presbyterian  look up Ros Davies Churches, then Comber, then see the 1st Presbyterian entry at the end Ros lists any surviving church records.  Also on her website if you look up her placenames list for Comber she has a townland map, I would encourage you to print this out.
Finally there are lots more websites to look up for going back in time eg www.emeraldancestors.com be patient with the results and dont give up too quickly. Sooner or later you may need to think  about variant spellings

Sometimes with Ros Davies and her surname listings, you can trace the move of a family from one district to another. Another source might be a limited street directory entry for 1880 is possible by looking up Mary Lennon/Wylie website. it may only list gentry and tradespeople etc.

Finally a Megaw family history tree exists in volume 12 or 18?p25 in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast.
I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com.

So wishing you luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census of Ireland - Lookup for Comber Co. Down
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Jim. A quick question - how did you learn about the Megraw family history tree at LinenHall library? I visited the site and tried a search, with no luck.