Author Topic: Looking for STEVENS  (Read 2446 times)

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
Looking for STEVENS
« on: Tuesday 28 August 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Anyone know of a person name of Ernest stevens b 1882 possibly newton bromswold Beds ;  this is a stab in the dark;  he was killed in WW1 1919 and was my great aunts husband. his father was Joseph Stevens;  eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for STEVENS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 I cannot see an Ernest Ste*ens born 1882 +/- 1, either born in Northants (which is where Newton Bromswold is situated, not Beds) or with a father Joseph.

Same in 1901

There's only one birth in 1882 in Northants of an Ernest Stevens, in Dec quarter in Northampton registration district, but Newton Bromswold isn't in that registration district.

I can't see a death of an Ernest Stevens on CWGC site, but as the war ended in 1918 it's possible that he died later from injuries sustained in the war.

Do you have his marriage certificate?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi eise,

Found this on the cwgc site:

Ernest Stevens, died 9/3/1919,  aged 37, Private in the Manchester Regiment, husband of Blanche Stevens of 21 High St South, Rushden, Northants.  Buried at Aldershot Military Cemetery.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
Eise

This Ernest [that Nanny Jan tells us about] is listed on the Rushden War Memorial [which is online] & he may be listed on the Newton B memorial if his parents still were there in the early 1920s when the names for the memorials were being collected - it is not unusual for men to be listed on more than one place [but Newton B is not online so I can not say].

You can download a digital copy of his Military history from UK National Archives for £3.50 - as he died in England [after hostilities ceased]  I expect he was in the Military hospital at Aldershot for a while before succombing to his injuries...see the CWGC site and that will give you his army number.

cathy
Ps:  The names were being collected as soon as the Great War ended it seems and the Memorials were going up from late 1919 onwards...sometimes the widows had remarried so often they are listed as 'formerly ...' etc.  Every village and town has one as we know & I wish I knew more about how it was arranged.  I dont think it is in the local papers as it was a common occurance?
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]