Author Topic: drowned at Stirling  (Read 2525 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
drowned at Stirling
« on: Tuesday 28 August 07 19:03 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt grandmothers brother Alexander Cant was born 1848 Forres and died Jul 1869 at Stirling. On his gravestone it only says drowned. Could anyone tell me the circumstances of this tragedy. Was it the sinking of a ship , suicide or accident. Any help at all please. I know Iam asking a lot,but there are some fantastic people on this site and Iam hoping.....

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: drowned at Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have Cant family from around that area.  Could you highlight a few other family names so that we may be able to link in.

I have Cant people dated back to 1647.

Sorry can't help with the demise in Stirling of your Cant but if you had parents and/or siblings may be able to offer further help

Carol
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol I see by your names we do have a connection as I also have Younie and Riach in my tree. Alexander Cant was the son of Alexander Cant b 1808 Todholes d 1880 Chapelton Moss and wife Margaret Gray. His sister Margaret b 1849 was my gt gt grandmother her illegit daughter Margaret being my gt grandma. The elder Margaret went on to marry Roderick Munro. I go back to another Alexander Cant and wife Helen Barron, I think this Alexanders father was Alexander b 1647 Tulloch but I have no wife for him. My gt grandma Margaret Cant had a daughter whom she left in Scotland with her grandmother and she married my gt grandad George Henry Antliff in Caunton Nottinghamshire 1892.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
If you download the death certificate from Scotlandspeople it may give some details re- the circumstances.

I had an ancestor who drowned and the certificate gave the time last seen, the location (Union Canal) and a conclusion of suicide

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
many thanks for that one Moss trooper.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Just to update this one. I used Scotlands People thankyou Moss trooper, and found Alexander Cant drowned in the river Forth at Alloa near Stirling. He was bathing at the time and his brother James was present. He was 20 years old.