Author Topic: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.  (Read 16676 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 29 October 11 08:44 BST (UK) »
Absolutely correct, Carmela!
I hadn't been paying attention properly at the back of the class as usual...
Gold medal position for you on both counts at the moment, unless someone else comes along with a set of circumstances even more outrageous.
I'll hang on for now to the booby prize for three generations born consecutively in the 17th, 18th and 19th C, then.
keith

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 29 October 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
I hope everyone realizes that in years to come the thread will be the opposite of this one. With all these teenage pregnancies these days, the thread will be something like: "how many generations in a century".   :)

It already is in a lot of cases, my daughter who is a teacher, and a colleague who is a NTA at the same school both took their 4 year olds to see a children's play recently. Both of them are in their 40s, one of them is a grandmother already.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 October 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Here in Australia, the government is probably partly to blame. About 17 years ago, they brought in a scheme designed to encourage the falling birthrate, a baby bonus. The only problem is, you get the same amount EVERY time you have a baby. And the worse part of it is the fact that it is the welfare-reliant section of society that is pumping them out at a rate of knots.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 October 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my soapbox has probably gone off-topic.  :)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 October 11 01:29 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Herbert Henry Isaac was born in Toxteth Park Liverpool in 1874 and I his youngest Grandaughter was born in Tasmania in 1958.My Father Terence bieng the youngest of eleven children was born 25 years after his first sibling was born. ;D

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 October 11 01:37 GMT (UK) »
That could be the start of another thread maybe: the gap between oldest and youngest children.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 30 October 11 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Darren,
I think that, as a theme, this has already been explored somewhere on Rootschat - I seem to remember I started a thread when I discovered that my gt-grandma Annie Sherwood (nee MILES) had given birth to NINE consecutive boys as a gentle start to producing and rearing children in the late 1870's.  The challenge was then to discover if anyone had experienced a larger number of consecutive same gender births in their own family, and this then evolved into which woman had managed to keep giving birth to children for the longest number of years.
If I remember correctly, it was in excess of 30 years, extraordinary...
keith
N.B. The length in years between oldest and youngest sibling in a generation, and then also someone marrying and producing children late in their own life are the two factors that produce the large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of of his/her grandchildren, of course...
...very naughty of me, because this is off topic somewhat, but my gt-grandma Annie had her first child in 1878, aged a mere 15 (she 2 years later married the father) and until recently I thought her last birth was twins in 1903.  But I have recently discovered that she had a baby boy called Nelson in 1907.  After that, I reckon she'd "done her duty"....no offence to our great Admiral intended...!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Not so much a gap as an unusual family spacing, my wife's great grandfather, named unfortunately John Smith was the only boy in a family of seven, there were three girls followed by him, then three more girls! Never seen a spacing like that anywhere else.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Reading both of your last posts started me thinking.
I wonder what the record is for the largest number of same sex children in one family. Roger has mentioned 6, Keith nine (or were there more?). My own father was the youngest of 10 children, nine of which were boys. Sadly my auntie was the last to pass away. I think it broke her heart to see all of her brothers go before her.

So, do we have any takers on this one?