Author Topic: Bardens in Malew  (Read 2236 times)

Offline sparkler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bardens in Malew
« on: Saturday 01 September 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
I've just discovered that a branch of my family moved to the Isle of Man.
Details are Thomas Barden, b. 1816 in Cumberworth, Yorks, married Catherine Cubbon (Cubbins) 1834 Cumberworth. I think she was from Isle of Man as in 1851 they were living there with Cubbons family. Thomas was a butcher, and in 1851 and 61 was working in Malew, according to censuses.
I think he died before 1871 as he's not on census.Haven't found his death however.
He had a daughter, Jane, and according to Mormon's site, she married 'Bedan'?  Holding on 19 08 1863. I cannot trace this marriage at all, so any help would be welcome.
Thomas remarried  a Mary Jackson in Malew (after Catherine presumably died), and had 2 more children, Thomas and Elizabeth.
I would love to find info on the butcher's shop!, the marriage of Jane and Mr Holding!anything more really.

Kathy in France
Lovel(le)from Claremorris, O'Neil from Mayo, Barrett(Sligo) in 1820's and 30's then Holywell. .Mason from Biggin,Selby,Brayton,Hambleton,  Yorks  and Rodgers Crofts from Sheffield area; Bardens from Yorkshire and Oldham, Buckley Wood, Lancs/ Yorks,and Walsh, Oldham

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bardens in Malew
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 07 05:45 BST (UK) »
See      www.lawsons.ca       for    marriages   &   burials

Offline sparkler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 07 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link; I've found some useful info.
I didn't realise that Cubbon was such a common name!
Kathy
Lovel(le)from Claremorris, O'Neil from Mayo, Barrett(Sligo) in 1820's and 30's then Holywell. .Mason from Biggin,Selby,Brayton,Hambleton,  Yorks  and Rodgers Crofts from Sheffield area; Bardens from Yorkshire and Oldham, Buckley Wood, Lancs/ Yorks,and Walsh, Oldham

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
see www.manxnotebook.com under directories (1857 + 1861 directories) - shop was at the market place end of Castle street - shop will still be there - a clickable map of castletown in 1868 is on my MNB CD-Rom
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline sparkler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the link. I'm glad it hasn't been demolished!! but doubt if I'll go there speciallyto see it.
Cheers

Kathy in France