Author Topic: Look up please, Christian  (Read 8671 times)

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Look up please, Christian
« on: Saturday 01 September 07 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        can anyone help me please, I am stuck,  I am looking for the parents of Margaret Christian, I don't know when she was born,    she married  William Hardy/Hardie
They had a daughter named Mary Hardy/Hardie born 1810 in Ramsey, Isle of Man, Mary married John Quarrie/ Quarry
in 1833 in Bride, Isle of Man,
I am looking for the Christian family and am stuck on Margaret
Any help would be very much appreciated
                             Jenny
suggett    London
jones        Glamorgan,   Wales
Smith        London
Thompson   Cambridge and London
Alder           Gloucester
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester
Holder          Gloucester

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please, Christian
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 08 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had a quick look in my Christian line but have no Mary born about the years you are looking at, there are lots of Christian IOM families and they go way back, I have just returned from the island and I have my line back to 1368.

The library in the museum has a pedigree book on the Christian families, that would be a good place to start your search.

Regards,

LesD
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jenny,

Have you checked FamilySearch? http://www.familysearch.org/

There are several Births/Christenings on the Isle of Man for Margaret Christian's. Do you have a rough idea how old Margaret Hardy nee Christian was when she married or died? Did Margaret and William have any other children? If they did, the children's first names can indicate their parents' parents name (so to speak).

Elfie :)

P.S. Use this one: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=tru

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 08 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, I have searched the LSD,

re:  the  Museum Library in the Isle of Man,  can I do it over the internet or would I have to go there,   I live in NZ
                          Jenny
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Can    I   suggest   you  post   your   enquiry  on   the   Manx   Genealogy   Board   at-------
www.isle-of-man.com/index.shtml
Some   regular   board   readers   have  transcriptions   of   the   parish   records   you  need.   All   LDS   family  history
reseach   centres  worldwide  can  arrange  viewing of   films  of   Manx   parish   records.The   MNH   library  also   has
films  available   for   readers  who  can  visit  in   person. The   staff  would   try   to  answer  a  single   e- mail   enquiry
but   then  give  you  details   of  private  researchers.  Several  people  in   NZ  regularly   visit   the  BB.

RE  the   Christians   mentioned  in   the   earlier   post-----  there   are   many,   many  Christian   families  in  the  IOM
only   famous   landowning   families   with  private   records    can   trace   their   lines      to   dates   mentioned.
Parish   records   only   exist  for    dates   hundreds  of   years   later   than  this.
Have   you  found   a  baptism  for  Mary   Hardy/  Hardie.
For   burials   try    www.lawsons.ca                              &   other  info.

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 08 21:18 GMT (UK) »
All I have is  Margaret Christian  married  William hardy in June 1809,   at Maughold
 They had two daughters   Mary born 1810  and
 Margaret  born 1813 at  Ramsey
I got Margaret ( Christian ) will  which  I gave to  Brian lawson's website,  she died 1815,
  she had a sister Catherine
 I will go for Margaret & William's marriage cert, it is the only way I can find a name of  one of her parents,  to try and find her birth.
I have found one of her daughter's Mary died  1887 & is buried at Andreas Churchyard, she married  John Quarrie,  her other daughter Margaret married  Richard mark

so I really appreciate any help I can get,  would you think  if she left a legacy of 40 pounds to her daughter's  they may have owned land or be prominent in any way to trace them back,  I  am thinking that would have been a lot of money in those days
                               Jenny 
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 08 23:17 GMT (UK) »
As   mentioned   Sue   in   Australia   on   Manx   BB   owns   a   copy   of   Maughold   Parish   Records.   Assuming   she   reads    the  posts    as   she   usually   does   you   would   have   probably  have  Margaret's   father's  name   by  morning   &   possibly   name   of   his   property  if   a  big   landowner.     

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 08 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,  I hope Sue in Australia see's my post
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
As   I    did   not  see  a post   on  iom.com    [   Sue   was   busy   during  our   night/   she   answers  all   Maughold
enquiries  as   she   owns  handwritten  transcriptions   of  all  the  parish records  from  originals  ]   &  I  was   going
to    MNH  library  I  have   just   had   a   look  for   you.  It   only  took  a few  minutes   as  entry  at   start  of   a   film.
The  vicar  at   that  time   never   records   ANY  extra   info.   except  that   sometimes   groom  was   from  another
parish----no   father's name   or   as   you    might  expect   farm /property name  of   landowners.

Will  spread  out   marriage  record  on   new  post.

Margaret   buried   Jan.2nd   1815 /  Maughold  ---no   tombstone   ---&   therefore  no   plot   number   available