Author Topic: MARTIN - Carnmoney  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Julieharris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MARTIN - Carnmoney
« on: Saturday 01 September 07 20:16 BST (UK) »
After about a year of searching I thought I would have another go at my 'brick wall'.  Any offers of help would be very much appreciated.

An ancestor of mine was in the light infantry and passed through Ireland between 1814 and 1818. Joseph Martin b. 7/4/1788 Romsey, Hampshire.

It is believed that he met his wife Sarah while in Ireland and they had a son also named Joseph.

What I am trying to find is Sarah's maiden name and marriage to Joseph Snr and Joseph Jnr birth/baptism date.

Both Sarah and Joseph Jnr are born Ireland on census record.

I have found a birth on IGI which may match.

Joseph Martin son of Joseph Martin
Baptised: 30th June 1816  Carnmoney, Antrim, Ireland.

There is no mention of a mother on the record and I was hoping someone could maybe find the PR entry so that I could investigate further.

Joseph, Sarah and Joseph Jnr left Ireland in 1818 to Quebec, I have found a daughter born in Quebec.  The family returned to Romsey, Hampshire in 1825.

Many thanks
Julie

SOFFE, Hampshire & USA. MARTIN, Hampshire & Quebec. HARRIS, Pill Somerset. HARRIS, Oxfordshire. EWERS, Oxfordshire. Cobb, Oxfordhsire. MORRIS, Oxford.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN - Carnmoney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 07 21:58 BST (UK) »
What I am trying to find is Sarah's maiden name and marriage to Joseph Snr and Joseph Jnr birth/baptism date.
I have found a birth on IGI which may match.
Joseph Martin son of Joseph Martin
Baptised: 30th June 1816 Carnmoney, Antrim, Ireland.
There is no mention of a mother on the record and I was hoping someone could maybe find the PR entry so that I could investigate further.

It is quite possibly that only the father's name was recorded. Some churches only recorded the father's name up until early 1900s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Julieharris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I know sometimes they record where the father was from i.e of Romsey.  It is a 'shot in the dark' but the record may contain some information - I am hoping!
SOFFE, Hampshire & USA. MARTIN, Hampshire & Quebec. HARRIS, Pill Somerset. HARRIS, Oxfordshire. EWERS, Oxfordshire. Cobb, Oxfordhsire. MORRIS, Oxford.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
I know sometimes they record where the father was from i.e of Romsey.
Have never seen that sort of thing in a baptismal register in Ireland except for one instance of an adult baptism of a former soldier which listed where he had served, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Julieharris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 07 23:25 BST (UK) »
I have come across some in the UK although not many.  Its worth a go though...so heres hoping!  It is made much harder as he traveled by foot all over Ireland, it could have been anywhere!!  I do have some precise places as listed and I believe Carmoney is fairly close to Belfast, hence my interest in this baptism. 

6.8.1814 - 68th LI marched to Clonmel, leaving on 7.9.1814 for Belfast, where it remained for 18 months. The 68th's Depot joined the Regiment in Belfast from England in early December 1814.
27.2.1816 - 68th LI marched to Enniskillen then on to Castlebar, arriving 19.3.1816.
14.5.1817 - 68th LI left Castlebar for George Street Barracks, Dublin, arriving 22.5.1817.
16.3.1818 - 68th LI left Dublin for Fermoy & then embarked from Cove on transports for Canada