Author Topic: William/s of Llanelli  (Read 14052 times)

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William/s of Llanelli
« on: Sunday 02 September 07 05:00 BST (UK) »
Is anyone following William/s particularly the area  around Adulam Chapel in Llanelli

Diana

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William/s of Llanelli
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

Have you got some facts and figures to help identify which WILLIAMS family you mean - maybe an example of a census that they appear in?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 13:15 BST (UK) »
Diana sent me the following by PM which I reproduce with her permission in case it helps anyone else to link to her family

Here are my Williams back a few generations.   Side branches kept to a minimum.

John R. Williams 1910 Swansea married Mary Diana Arthur 1912 Swansea at Port Talbot 1934

William John Williams 12/6/1882 Felinfoel married Edith Gwendoline Probert
John Williams 1857 Felinfoel (deacon of Adulam and Senior deacon at Gowerton) married Margaret Morgans 1857 Felinfoel.
children of John Williams and Margaret Morgans all born Llanelli
William John 1882 metal merchant
Hugh Rhandir 1885 maritime clerk
Luther 1886 metal merchants clerk married Jane 1885
Ester Ann 1888
Elizabeth Margaret 1889
Aneurin Tudor 1891
David Le 1893
Ada 1895
Llewllyn Tudor 1897
Muriel 1899 - dressmaker

John Williams 1834 Felinfoel died 1866 Cholera married Margaret Davies 1834 Felinfoel.   Married Adulam 1855
children
John 1857 married Margaret Morgans
Esther 1860
Ann 1863 never married - dressmaker
William Adulam 1864 - Haverfordwest college, Baptists minister
Catherine 1859 married Charles Stone 1859

Hope this shows up some links - I can go back further if necessary and give you the census information

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana, I have Williams in Llanelli. In 1881 they were living at Glanafon Row.
Father is David, mother unknown. Children Elizabeth, Thomas, Elenor and Christmas.
Christmas married my rellie Harriet Lewis.

I don't suppose theres any link but Felinfoel is the birthplace of Christmas, all the rest just say Llanelli.
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Diana is this John b-1834  in 1841 with his family
Felinfoel,Westfa Llanelly
H0107/1379/9

William Williams,35,Mason
Mary Williams,30
Anne Williams,8
John Williams,6
Margaret Williams,3
David Williams,
All born in County
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Welshlady.

sorry no it isn't - John Williams 1834's father was John Williams.   In the 1841 census he was living at Blaennant Fach with his sisters Margaret 1823 who married John Hopkin of Felinfoel and Hannah 1833 who married David Morgan born 1828 at Llannon .     The children were orphaned by 1841.   There were others in the family including  another sister Jane 1829 who married  firstly John Rees 1822 of Ystradfai Farm and then married William Morris born 1822 Kidwelly.   William Morris and Jane William were the parents of Silas Morris the first Dean of Bangor university.

Diana

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Liverpool lass,

I am sorry but not one of mine I am afraid.    My lot were very much in Felinfoel and Westfa.

Diana

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 21:16 BST (UK) »
Diana can you put up the 1841 census and do you know Johns mothers name?
I have some Carms records i can see if i can help you get back any further then
My Price family all attended Adulam Chapel Felinfoel and are buried in the churchyard

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 06:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Welsh lady - I did give you all of the 1841 census!  I have been researching my family for years as it is my main line - I was a Williams before I was married.     If you can find the marriage and death of John William the father  John William 1834 - 22/7/1866  I would be so grateful.

1841 census Blaennant Fach  HO107/1379/9
Margaret William 15
Hannah William 8
John William 5

Next door at Alliene is Thomas Richard and his wife Ruth nee William.    I think she is a great aunt.

In December 1841 Margaret William married John Hopkin at Adulam Chapel.  The address of the marriage is Blaennant.   The witnesses are Daniel Fisher1798  of Kidwelly with wife Margaret nee Jones 1802 Llanon who were living at Pantyffynnon very near to Blaennant in 1841.    Richard Griffith 1796 was also a witness.   In the 1841 census he was staying in Union Row with Joseph and Eliza Williams.

In 1851 census John is still living with his sister and brother in law until he marries Margaret Davies At Adulam Chapel 12/10/1855.    The name of the father is John Williams deceased

I transcribed the Adulam Records for the CRO which took months to do.   They were the most awful mess.   I had a friend translating the welsh prose bits.        I also transcribed the 1841 census of Llanelly so you could say I have been through it with a fine tooth comb.   That took me a long time as well!

I have searched high and low for a death for John William/s and cannot find a suitable one.      I think that John William senior married Catherine Jonah in 1823 at Llanelly.    I think they were both dead by 1841.         Good names for the mother of John William 1834 would be Catherine, Margaret, Jane or Ann.         I believe that JW senior was recorded in the Capel Als register.    John William 1805's  father was Thomas William Penyfynglawdd farm who married Diana Griffith of Kidwelly.     I can go back further on this side.

All the evidence is supported by wills mainly as there were no infant baptisms as they were in the Baptist church very early on.   Of course the marriages are in the established church where they had to be.

I have been through the Adulam cemetery headstones which survive and Margaret Hopkin nee William 1823 is there in 1903.  Sshe was living at Penyfynglawdd farm in 1901.

any help would be more than gratefully received
Diana