Author Topic: Thompson Ballymena  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Thompson Ballymena
« on: Sunday 02 September 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
THis is a personal one ...

Need any info on George Thompson, James Street, Ballymena (originally from Galgorm Street, Ballymena). Was L cpl. Royal Irish Rifles in WW1. Joined pre May 1915 and was POW from March 21 1918.
His wife was Jane (also Thompson!).
I believe his service no. to be 18/403.

I do not have access to ancestry etc. Have looked at his medal card, doesn't tell me much.
Anyone able to help out here?
I believe he died in 1930/31/32 from TB (he had been gassed too). I reckon he would have been early 20s when he enlisted.

Would deeply appreciate any help.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson Ballymena
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 07 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Blackadder,  I have had a look in Emerald Ancestors and wonder if this just MIGHT be who you're talking about.  Marriage:  12 July 1906 in Kirkinriola C of I.  George Thompson/ Jane Thompson BERRY.  Could that be what caused you to think she was also called Thompson??  You can get the details of this marriage from Family Ulster for £6 by email.  If you get the names of their fathers we might be able to go a bit further.  Cheers, RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Des.
Could this family be related to your Thompsons. My wife's connection are Campbells, but don't know of a connection to this family.
A child of Robert Campbell and Mary Thompson.
Child,  Robert, born 25 April 1908, Galgorm Street, Ballymena.
The birth was registered on the 15 May 1908, by Nurse Kerr, off Ballymena.

Des could I ask you about something unrelated to your search.
Last Sunday my wife and myself visited her parents grave in Kells Presbyterian cemetery and notices a lot of headstones and surrounds seem to have gone, would you have any idea what's happening. Though you might have an idea, with you having local contacts.
Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 07 20:40 BST (UK) »
Dunno about Kells ... must have a nosey.

Re the Thompsons. The Church of Irerland would make sense for sure and I think 1906 would fit in as a marriage date too.

Joined since the outbreak of war - 15th Royal Irish Rifles - Pte. Adam Thompson, Galgorm Street; Seaforth Highlanders - Pte. William Thompson, Galgorm Street; Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, Pte. Wilson Thompson, Galgorm Street; 18th Royal Irish Rifles, Pte George Thompson, Galgorm Street.
(1915).

The above are the four brothers.
I think William (the father of the boys) moved in with Mary, wife of George.

Mrs. Jane Thompson, 44 James Street, Harryville, Ballymena, has received a postcard from her husband, L/Cpl. George Thompson, RIR, stating that he is a PoW. Prior to joining the army he was employed in the Braidwater Mill and he has four brothers and a brother-in-law with the colours.

Mr. William Thompson, James’ Street, Harryville, has received a letter from his son Rfn. Adam Thompson, RIR stating he is a prisoner in Germany. Before enlisting he was employed in Messrs. Sinclair’s Pork Store, Belfast. He has four brothers with the colours of whom George (above) is also a prisoner.
Ballymena Observer, June 14, 1918

Mrs. William Thompson, Galgorm Street, Ballymena, has been notified that her husband, Pte. William Thompson, Seaforth Highlanders, was wounded on March 21st and has lost his left leg. He is at present in Netley Hospital, Hants. Prior to enlistment he was employed by Messrs. Sinclair’s, Belfast. He has four brothers serving with the colours, two of them being prisoners in Germany.

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 07 20:46 BST (UK) »
For Dixie - your Robert doesn't ring bells this end. But given the fact that most of the Thompsons in Ballymen are inte-related in one degree or another .. I woudln't be surprised at all!!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Des

Have you looked for George and his siblings and parents in the 1901 Census (as you have a possible address, ie Galgorm Street, it makes it easier to search for - available to view on microfilm at Ballymena Library)?

A copy of the 1906 marriage certificate, as it certainly does sound a possibility, could also be purchased at the Registrars Office in Ardeevin.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Ta for that - I will investigate.

Wanted to know .. some people can get military pension records on ancestry?

Is it possible to do so with his number? And if there is any kind soul out there who has the package, could they do a look up?

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Des, it would be interesting to find out what's happening in that cemetery.

Have you entered the service details on the Armed Forces Board, there's a lot of smart people there that might solve your problem.

I have Campbell / Thompson marriage on computer. in 1861, the groom of Ballysavage, the bride of Loughenncore ???. Any interest to you ?.

Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Des, I've just finished a 3 day free trial with Ancestry. Forgot to say, I had a look last night at the pension records and did find two Thompsons. One a John (born c 1899, regiment number 62893) with an address in Daisyhill, Randalstown (his father was called William). The other a William (born c1886, regiment number 12466). Can't see an address on William, but he seems to have married a Jennie Steele in Ballymena on 25.12.06.

Didn't see anything for regiment Number 18403, sorry.

Have you also checked the Thompsons in James Street and Galgorm Street in the 1912 Ulster Declaration (searchable on PRONI website)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .