Author Topic: missing schoolmaster.London area  (Read 3971 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
missing schoolmaster.London area
« on: Friday 17 December 04 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Looking for my Gt Grandfather Thomas Littlejohn Brash, taught in a board school in Hertfordshire, till around 1885, then no trace,then I find 4 of his 5 children died in the workhouse at Camberwell in 1891, on one of their death certificate, it states that Thomas was teaching in Peckham at that time,but,
 the 1901 census shows his wife Catherine,was in Barry, Wales. now a widow. My grandfather was the surviving child,as he was found on the census 1901 in Devon, having joined the navy. there is no record of  Thomas' death, so he must have died between 1890 and 1901. Rumour has it, that there was some misdemeanor of some sort , but no proof of this as yet. Anyone got any suggestions or advice as to where i go now. Thanks for listening ! cheer's Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: missing schoolmaster.London area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 04 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I found Thomas L Brash at St Albans in 1881, at 4  Hazelwood Terrace he was 35, a  lodger, a certificated teacher, b. Haddington, Scotland. On the same page is Christ Church School so he may have taught there. He must have married very soon afterwards for all those other children to die by 1891 and one to be in the Navy by 1901.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: missing schoolmaster.London area
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 04 23:55 GMT (UK) »
He married at Stepney Jun 1882 Vol 1c p. 881 presumably, in view of your posting to Catherine Elizabeth Dryden.
On another matter if 5 children all died in one year it seems possible it was from a contagious disease - you have one death certificate - what does it say?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk