Author Topic: Ann Jane Traies - a mystery  (Read 1336 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ann Jane Traies - a mystery
« on: Monday 03 September 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

A death certificate arrived this morning, wasn't the one I was hoping it would be but it has posed a bit of a mystery. 

Ann Jane Traies died on 19 August 1842, 3 months old, daughter of Jane Traies, died of convulsions.  William Roffe present at the death, Notting Hill

Now the first mystery is that I cannot find a birth registered for Ann, presumably she must have been born in 1842 and about May but I cannot find it.

Now I have a Jane Traies on my tree, daughter to James Traies who married a William Roffe in September 1842.  I am presuming that this must be this Jane Traies.  He married her a month later.  I am presuming (possibly wrongly) that the baby was his as he was present.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and is it possible that they may not have registered the birth?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Jane Traies - a mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
It wasn't compulsory to register the birth in those days - in fact I think it was up to the registrar to go round and check up on births rather than the parents going to him.  There was a thread about this recently that put it very clearly.
Could be an odd spelling too I suppose.  It is an unusual name.
Andrea

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 07 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea

I shall search for the thread.  I have been through the 1842 births 3 times now and its definitely not there. 

There are different spellings for this name in Devon where James came from my London lot so far have been consistent with their spelling (apart from mistranscriptions on the census!)

I did check a couple of other spellings too.

Kerry  :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:02 BST (UK) »
Just solved the mystery of who she was.  I thought I would have a look on LDS and see if I could find a christening. 

I did christened 20 June 1842 and born 25 May 1842, Ann Jane Traies which fits with the age and name on death certificate.

Made too many assumptions though, she was actually the daughter of Henry and Jane Traies (Henry was the other Jane's brother).  Presumably as I think Henry lived in St Marylebone and the death was registered at Notting Hill Ann might well have been at her grandfather's house hence William Roffe being present also might that explain why occupation is daughter of Jane Traies and not Henry Traies?

Perhaps mum and baby had gone to visit Grandfather but not father.  How sad  :'(

Kerry

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
beat me to it!
I had just found that iGI enty and was going to post!!!!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
A woman I knew told me that when she had baby #4 in 1940, another of her children had been very ill and hospitalized for a protracted period, her husband had either gone or was preparing to leave the area because of his Army assignment, she and the 4 children were being evacuated from a city to a rural area to be away from the bombing, and the new baby sickened and died. When his death certificate was filed she was faced with dire threats because she had not registered the babe's birth. We have the death certificate but I don't know that a birth certificate was ever issued!!

So even more recently than your problem, there have been omissions.

I also don't think that any severe penalties were brought to bear.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:51 BST (UK) »
Well now I'm even more confused.  ::) ::)

I've found the census records for my Henry, son of James.  Unfortunately in 1843 he married SARAH Ann Overs.  All census records confirm this, wife is Sarah. :-\ :-\

I cannot find a Henry and Jane at all.  Unless she died in 1842, death which I cannot find. 

I'm going to order marriage certificate for Henry and Sarah, maybe it will show him as a widower.  Also there is a death in 1842 for a Matilda in the right district, I will order that perhaps it will shed some light.

This Traies family has led me a merry dance since the beginning  ::) ::)

Kerry