Author Topic: Parish record look up 1867  (Read 998 times)

Offline ab9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish record look up 1867
« on: Monday 03 September 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
I am having great difficulty tracing a marriage between Robert Brown b Hathern 1845 occ framsmith f Robert Brown
& Sarah b Crich 1844.

I am a bit desparate and wonder if anyone can check the parish records/ Banns to see whether there has been a mis-spelling.

I actually found one one a Nottingham record so this can happen (the Banns proved the error).

The marriage concerned is Belper Mar qtr 1867 ref 7b 568

Bruce Robert  (BROWN ???)
Holmes Mary
Mather Sarah (b Crich ???)
William Wilson

I can find no trace of Robert Bruce married to Sarah or Mary in 1871 census and have ticked off almost all the other Sarahs born in Crich in 1844/5.

I know this is a long shot but if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

AB9

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record look up 1867
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 07 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1871 census shows his birthplace as Hathern in Leicestershire and although Sarah was b Derbyshire - their daughter Louisa was b Nottingham and they were living in Notts in 1871

However - the 1881 census shows Sarah as b Notts but she's back to Derbyshire by 1891

It might be easier to get a copy of Louisa's birth cert to establish Sarah's maiden name. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
This is a long shot

Sarah & Robert only had one child so Sarah possibly had "problems" conceiving (perhaps)

What if they married a few years before Louisa's birth?

Have a look at this 1864 entry on freebmd

Robert Brown Dec Qtr 1864 Nottingham 7B 333

There are 2 Sarah's shown on the same page - Sarah Smith and Sarah Ann Pillatt

The 1861 has Sarah Ann Pillatt b Notts - so we can rule her out

You could send for the marriage cert but put a condition on your application that you only want it if the bridegrooms fathers name was Robert

If it's the wrong one - they will only charge you a search fee of around £4

Daughter Louisa married Charles Frederick Smith in 1887
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ab9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 07 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Many thanks for the effort but I had already tried that one and have a copy of the marriage certificate - it is Sarah Pillatt... boo hoo. :'(

I got that about two weeks ago and then was old about Rootschat so it was the actual prompt for me to raise a request.

I have also already sent for two copies of Louisa's birth and each one was wrong !

My Louisa married Charles Herbert Smith Oct 8th 1887 Sneinton (the same one you mentioned?) and I also have that certificate.

This is why I am hoping the Parish records may shed some light.

As I have already found an error in Nottinghamshire marriage records this is my long shot.

Not even sure where to go in Derby to look anything up if I get the chance so I was trying to see if anyone out there could help.

Incidendentally I cannot find the right Louisa Smith b 1888 ish in Nottingham and have sent for three copies of bith certificates here... again all wrong

Smith / Brown and Hughes are the names in this family and boy are they hard to trace.

If you have any other thoughts they would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for the research so far as you confirm my own thought processes.

best regards ab9

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I must admit the thought crossed my mind that Louisa may have been Sarah's daughter by a previous marriage/relationship.  However - she married as Louisa Brown so that theory went out the window

I don't know how many Louisa Brown births there are in Notts between 1888-1889 but the GRO have a search facility whereby they will do a 3 year search (years nominated by you) for Louisa Brown with parents Robert & Sarah

It's relatively cheap (about £11-£12 I think)  Might be worthwhile giving the GRO a ring and checking it out

Offline ab9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the idea Carole, I need to try whatever I can as this family is so tricky.

ab9