Author Topic: Hall, Cramb, Sneddon, Ferguson, Dryburgh, Robertson  (Read 14268 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hall, Cramb, Sneddon, Ferguson, Dryburgh, Robertson
« on: Tuesday 04 September 07 06:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for information re my G/Grandfathers family.
Thomas Hall born 18 Jan 1861 at Sauchie, parents Edward Hall c1828 place of birth unk, Robina Sneddon c1831 place of birth unk. Could be the parents of Edward were Thomas and C Moir.
On Robina Sneddon I have no information.

Thomas Hall married Isabella Robertson 15 Aug 1881 in Alva, she died in 1890 Alva, they had four daughters Charlotte c1888 was my grandmother.
Isabella parents John Robertson 1829 and Isabella Cramb 1831.
Cramb parents John 1803-1884 and Isabel Young 1803.
Robertson parents John Robertson 1795 and Christian ?

And now I have hit a brick wall or maybe once again can't see the wood for the trees....

My grandmother hade three older sisters two of whom I knew nothing about  ??? 1. Isabella Cramb Hall married a William Dryburgh in 1905 at Alva and 2. Robina Sneddon Hall of whom I have no information, another sister Christine married James Allan in Alva and she was the only sister I knew about.

Hoping someone can give me a hand with this problem..don't think I can wait for the 1911 census to be made available am already 70 years old LOL... ;D Regards patvp

Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hall, Cramb, Sneddon, Ferguson, Dryburgh, Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Don't know whether this will push things forward at all, but the 1871 census lists Robina as also being from Sauchie. Let me know whether you want this information listed properly.

In 1851 I think that I've found Robina, though her name might be butchered ;D

North Side of the Turnpike Rd
Agness Marshall  Head          77                                           Alloa
Charlot Marshall  Daur          49  Works at Woolan Factory  Sauchie
Cathrine Marshall Daur         39              "                            Sauchie
ROBINA SNADAN  Granddaur 20              "                            Sauchie
John Cook           Grandson   15              "                            Sauchie

(This listing came from ancestry transcriptions - I didn't read them off the actual census returns).

In 1841, the same family are listed as
Agness Marshall      65
Carlotte Marshall    35 Woolen Manf
Catherne Marshall  30       "
Robina Snaden       13       "
Charlotte Cook       15       "
John Cook                5

The address is just Newtonshaw.

So it looks as though Robina's parents were Mr Sneddon/Snadon and Miss Marshall who might have been dead by 1841.

Hope this helps a bit.

Isobel

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 13:52 BST (UK) »
Just found something else interesting in the IGI. I was trying to find Robina's parents, unsuccessfully. So I looked for the birth of Charlotte or Catherine to try to find their father, and hence to find any other children, and then hopefully a mother for Robina.

In the IGI is a member submitted record of Charlotte Marshall, born about 1806 of Clackmannan whose spouse was listed as ROBERT SNADDON, married 26 May 1827 in Clackmannan. Admittedly, it's member submitted, so needs to be checked out, but it's interesting!

Isobel

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuizzy - and thanks for the info..yes that checks out re 1841-1851 census.  Just looked at 1861 census and am more confused..Catherine and Charlotte now appear as daughter's of Ann Michie age 90..could that be right..obviously the same family as John Cook is still with them !!!So far cannot find the IGI ref you spoke of so will have another look  ::) regards patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 02:07 BST (UK) »
I just couldn't leave this alone. I had some left over credits on scotlandspeople so I looked up Robina's death certificate. Send me your email address through personal message, and I'll send you a copy. Save you getting it yourself.

It does confirm that her parents were Robert Snaddon, Pit Banksman and Charlotte (Marshall) Snaddon. Both were deceased by 29 June 1893 when Robina died.

Interesting that you found everyone living with Ann Michie in 1861.  In the IGI I found an appropriate Charlotte and Catherine Marshall born to John Marshall and Ann Mickie. Again, member submitted but there's a Charlotte, born 8 Jan 1802, christened 10 Jan 1802 in Clackmannan (batch number 6925205)  and Catherine born 21 Feb 1810 (batch number 6925206). These parents also seem to have a son, John, born 22 March 1805, christened 25 March 1805 (batch number 6925206).

Perhaps the ladies just reverted to maiden names at some point.

Isobel

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 02:39 BST (UK) »
How do I send a personal message...and so many thanks for that..funnily enoughwas just looking at their son Thomas's birth cert which states marriage of Edward Hall and Robina Sneddon took place 03 June 1853 Alloa..and do you think I can find a marriage !!!!! nothing on scotland people or anywhere else..not that it would tell me much ..seem to be going around in circles  ??? patvp

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but it has taken some sorting out and I don't like member submitted stuff.  Yes the ladies did revert to their maiden names and in the 1871 census Cathe (sic) and Charlotte Marshall are living together and STILL working  :o
The John (1836) is John Cook (grandson) in the 1841 census at Newtonshaw Clackmannanshire he is with his mother Charlotte and she dissapears in the 1851.
Still, for the life in me cannot find Robert Sneddon/Snadon wondered if he may have been born at Sauchie as that is where Charlotte was born..but so far no luck  ??? now have no idea, any help gratefully received. patvp

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 07 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Pat,

Just to warn you that the Sneddons and their ilk, of whom there are many in the Clacks area, appear under a wide variety of spellings, both in the original entries in the enumerators' books, and in the many different transcriptions (or should that be mis-transcriptions) of those original entries.

In fact the surname should really be spelt S.N.A/E.D(D).A/E/O.N!  By my reckoning, that gives 12 possible spellings from SNADAN to SNEDDON.   Eight of these appear in the FHS transcription of the 1851 census for Clackmannan parish alone.

Good luck.

David

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 13:05 GMT (UK) »
This is very true David.
 Iam trying to find Sneddons/Snaddons/Snadon/etc etc in this area and it is really very difficult to know if you are on the right family.
Good Luck Pat
Mariac