Author Topic: Hall, Cramb, Sneddon, Ferguson, Dryburgh, Robertson  (Read 14267 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hall, Cramb, Sneddon, Ferguson, Dryburgh, Robertson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I give up..have worked my way through the IGI this is what I have come up with.
Thomas and Christian Moir married 06 Dec 1818....children to this couple
Thomas 18 Sep 1819. Christian 04 Jun 1821 altho'spelling is Mair ???Edward 22 Jun 1823. James 10 Oct 1825. Jean 11 Aug 1832.  That's all I can find.  Do you have a birth for Christian as cannot find one.  The next step is Scotlands People although I hate to spend money LOL.  Found marriage for Thomas Hall and Jean Malcolm in 1794 subsequent children Janet 1799. John 1797 and of course Thomas 1795.  Going further back Thomas Hall 20 Apr 1771 parents John Hall and Jean Alexander with another son John 04 Nov 1768....Don't know if I am on the right track ????
It may be the middle of the day here but after this lot think I deserve a drink  ;) regards Pat
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Golfer - just running this past you as you probably have this info anyway..just trying to clear my mind.  By the way the two Edward Hall's were that... S.People have them listed 22/06/1823 parents Thomas Hall Christian Moir GROS 466/0060 0055.  Other one same parents dob 05/02/1828 GROS 466/0060 0119 so as I said the first one may have died.

Went looking for James Hall 1825 son of Thomas and Christian found the 1841 census which shows
Christian Hall 1801 Clacks
Christian Hall 1821 Clacks
Francis Hall 1829 Clacks
James Hall 1826 Clacks
Janet Hall 1840 Clacks
What is interesting there is no sign of Thomas but there is a Edward Moir (transcribed as Hoir) 1776 Clacks
David Moir 1826 Clacks

They are all in the parish of Tillicoutry.

It does become more and more obvious that my family whomesoever they were (McKay's, Stewarts, Hall,s Sneddon's et al all lived in the general area) Alva, Alloa, Dunblane, Tillicoutry, Clackmannan, I now wish I had paid more attention when I used to visit, but that's passed so now have to try and recall what was said......
Hope I am not boring you, you probably have all this info anyway...regards Pat
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline golfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat. I'm going to have to put you on hold. Just got home and have lots to do. My son and I are conducting a (ice) hockey school out of town and will be tied up for a week. We love our hockey here in Canada! Cheers, Golfer.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 March 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Continuation of this saga -
Charlotte Marshall married Robert Sneddan/Sandon 26 May 1827.
They are my g/paretns x3
Charlotte's parents John Marshall dob 1770 and Ann Michie (initial date of birth re census as 1771 at Alloa they were married 09 Jun 1797 Clackmannan and had three children.

Now am having problems with Ann Michie !!!!

I have her death cert..made out for Anne Marshall  27 May 1863..parents given as James Michie and Charlotte Paterson..
1841 census where she is with Charlotte and Catherine Marshall her name is given as Agnes !!!!

But I can't find her birth  ??? parents ???? marriage for her parents..I have a James Michie born 1757 parents John Michie and Margt Snaden ...can't find anything on Charlotte Paterson.

Have all the births for Michie's in the Clackmannanshire area
children born to James Michie and Charlotte Paterson are;-
George 1779 Alloa. James 1775 Alloa. James 1777 Alloa. Jean 1782 Alloa. Robert 1786 Alloa.

And not an Agnes nor an Ann among ém unless it was James and someone else....I don't know ::)

Can someone help me with this dilemma PLEASE.

I ight add that in the 1841 census her approx date of birth is 1776 which would work in with the other children but still can't find...regards Patvp

Offline golfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat. Looking on UK freecen roostweb.com at the 1841 Tillicoultry (Coalsnaughton Village) census.  Ref the entry for Christian Hall and some of her children, on a separate page her husband Thomas Hall is listed. We can speculate numerous reasons for this. Fol Christian's entry is her father Edward Moir. Don't know if this means anything to you but in the same census is an Isabella Snaddon (b. 1811) living w/a Condie household. Also don't know if it means anything when researching Tillicoultry records but I have read somewhere that at one time this parish was comprised of 3 villages: 1. Westerton or Cairntown. 2. Earlston, Ellerton or Eastertown. 3. COALSNAUGHTON. Cheers, Ray.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info, must look up the Isabella Sneddon you spoke of and see where she fits in.  And so the search continues for Ann Michie in the 1861 census she is living with her daughters (Marshall) must have been a good age even then 90 odd, even tho'I have a date of birth for Ann michie (IGI) cannot find a records for her..was she Ann or Agnes ??? on her marriage cert to John Marshal 09 Jun 1797 she is Ann 1841 census she is Agness.  I have her birth as 1771 but could be 1776.  As I said have the children o James Michie and Charlotte Paterson but no Ann or Agnes listed with GRO..where on earth did she come from.  Spent all day yesterday searching but to no avail..so back to the drawing board.  regards Patvp

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 March 08 03:58 GMT (UK) »
hi pat you might want to post a query on the fife board. my family tree is full of sneddon/snadon/ and all the variations the majority were from dunfermline fife. beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 March 08 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Pat,

Yes, Ray is correct.  Coalsnaughton was one of three villages in Tillycoultry Parish.   It developed as a mining village in the 19th Century up on the south ridge of the Devon Valley opposite to Tillycoultry (the old Westerton) on the north side of the River Devon.  In the 1841 Census, James Hall, aged 15, is listed as an Iron Miner.   The Thomas Hall on a separate page is aged 45 and listed as a shoemaker.

David.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray - forget other stuff I put on another thread, have just backtracked and found u had the info anyway..must be getting old.   :o

Still no luck with Francis altho'did find a U.S. Fedral census 1880
1880 Home Morris Grundy Illinois.  Age 50 DOB 1830 birthplace Scotland, wife's name Margaret. Occupation Saloon Keeper..could this be yours ??

Meanwhile his sister Christian married Andrew Johnston 31/7/1841 at Tillicoultry and they had tree children !!!

Also still on the hunt for John Cook 1836 Sauchie and Charlotte Cook 1826 Clackmannan.  They are listed with the Marshall women in the 1841 census then in the 1851 only John is listed named as grandson ?? but grandson to whom ?? heaps of Cook's in the IGI but cannot find a Charlotte, plenty of John's..but which is the right one..getting more confused by the minute...regards Patvp