Author Topic: 1811 Morriston Birth, - how can I find it?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1811 Morriston Birth, - how can I find it?
« on: Tuesday 04 September 07 19:49 BST (UK) »

On the 1841 Census for Wales my G/G/Grandfather, Evan Rees is shown as having been born in Morriston, Glamorganshire in (Approx) 1811. He married Anne, & one of their children was my G/Grandfather, - also Evan Rees, who married Margaret, & my Grandmother Margaret Rees, (1866-1934) was one of their children.

My query is...how can I find a record of this birth? I'm not sure which Church the family might have attended, - although later generations seem to have married in the Established Church...

Any ideas welcomed, - as I feel completely stuck with this!!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1811 Morriston Birth, - how can I find it?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
West Glamorgan Archive Service have the registers of many churches etc. but I don't think its a 5 minute job. The office is also closing next week (I think) as a brand new archive office is opening (in the same building).

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 07 22:09 BST (UK) »

Hi Bernard,

Interesting to hear that the Archives are re-organising...hopefully there will be more info available when it re-opens.

There seem to be many different Churches etc to choose from for the period I'm looking at, - a brief glance gives me these options to choose from! :

* St. Teilo, Clase
    * St. John, Clydach -
    * St. Mary, Clydach -
    * St. Illtyd, Fforest Fach
    * St. Paul, Landore -
    * St. David, Morriston
    * St. John, Morriston
    * Penlan Church
    * St. David, Penllergaer
    * Clydach St. Michael, Trebanos
    * St. Alban, Treboeth

My daughter has Cardiff Uni on her list of options for next year...& if that happens...I can forsee it tying in nicely with some further research opportunities for me in Swansea:-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 07 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think St John's only opened in 1847 ( I've got that date scribbled  down in my notes  that I made when I went back home and visited a couple of those churches), so you maybe able to cross that one off your list   for Evan Rees Senior .
This seems to also confirm it : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Llangyfelach/Clydach/StJohn/

Have you tried looking for him on the faimlyhistoryonline site, I think a few of those churches may have  been transcribed onto the site as that's where I initially found  some of mine.

Another idea ; you can purchase the PR booklets for some of those churches from genfair . They cost just a couple of pounds each, it may be worth it if you have quite a few ancestors in the area . 
Kind Regads :)

PS "St Teilo"  is listed by the name of  " Ss David & Cyfelach " on genfair just in case you have difficulty finding that church's PR booklet on there
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 07 08:47 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the info Cell, - I will try the routes that you suggest. (And will definately cross St John's off my list:-)

I don't think that I've heard of Genfair before, - do they just do Parish Records?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 yes it's where some of the different family history societies around Britain sell their material such as the Glamorgan society etc - like an umbrella site
They have transcriptions on fiche and booklets  of some of churches PR's plus lots of other material

http://www.genfair.com/shop/system/index.html

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 07 09:02 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for that Cell!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 September 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I checked the Llangyfelach Parish Registers at the archives today, as Morriston would have been included at that time, but I didn't find him I'm afraid.

The writing is very poor up to 1812, better after that, but I looked from 5 years before to 5 years after 1811, without luck.

I assume you have the family in the 1851 census as well as 1841,( in which the ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years.) He is given as 40 in 1851 which makes your date accurate anyway.

Sorry, hope someone else can come up with something.

Bev.  :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 September 07 22:41 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for looking Bev, - I've checked his age via the various censuses, & 1811/12 seems to be the most likely date.

The annoying thing is that I remember my late Uncle telling me that someone in his family had traced his mother's family (the Rees's) back into the dim mists of time...but I don't know who this was!!! (And I'm stuck at 1811:-(((

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching: