Author Topic: John Charles - Kildress, Cookstown  (Read 11157 times)

Offline acharles

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Charles - Kildress, Cookstown
« on: Friday 07 September 07 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I am seeking information & getting in contact with living descendants of the family of John Charles who married 26 Mar 1846 Kildress, Cookstown, Tyrone to Catharine Johnston.
One son John b: 1851 immigrated in 1874 to Queensland, Australia (my husband's GGrandfather)
I have recently found a sister Jane b: 12 Dec 1864 Pomeroy and a brother Robert b: 21 Apr 1867 Pomeroy, believing these might be the last 2 born, I am seeking the names of others in between John & Jane.
Hoping someone can help me out.

Thank you,
Annette Charles from Australia.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: John Charles - Kildress, Cookstown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 07 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

I've sent a PM with some information for you.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 07 07:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Annette. If you don't get anywhere with information a relative of my husband married a Charles a few years ago and I could pass on your message. Forget what townland they live in but they are near Wellbrook and church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya Annette,

My Charles contact has a small booklet in an old family Bible which includes some of the family tree.
He told me if he remembers he'll bring it into his shop and photocopy it for me.

Aghadowey, I think the townland is Corkhill. There's a Charles family living near the Wellbrook Beetling Mill.
I understand a member of that family made a CD (or a tape) of Gospel songs.

I'm not sure where John James Charles (1845-1912), Richard Havelock Charles (1858-1934) and Robert Henry Charles (1855-1931) fit into the picture. They were all born in Cookstown and are mentioned in
The Dictionary of Ulster Biography.
James and Richard were doctors whilst Robert entered the Church and in 1913 he became a Canon and six years later Archdeacon of Westminster. The R.H. Charles Manuscripts
are held in the Special Collections, Main Library, Queen's University, Belfast.

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 07 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

I'm sorry that my friend omitted to bring the Charles family tree in to his shop and photocopy it today.

I looked at familysearch.org and didn't notice any Charles born in Co. Tyrone.

The 1796 Flax Growers list contains the following ...

Richard Charles, Kildress. Tyrone
Henry Charles, Kildress. Tyrone

The Charles family are members of the Church of Ireland (Anglican). There are several memorials for the family in Ardress Parish Church as well as headstones in the graveyard.

Click here to see "The Religious Census of the population of the parish of Kildress 1766" as it lists John, Alexander and Andrew Charles. 

The following people with the Charles surname had property (which most likely means they lived there) in the townland of Beltonanaen at Kildress, Co. Tyrone at the time of Griffiths Valuation which took place in the county in 1851 ... Andrew, David, James, John, Samuel, Thomas and William

Jean Rice has the Landowners in Co Tyrone, 1876 on her website and there are three Charles listings ...

David Hughes Charles, address Cookstown, owned 2 acres.
Henry Richd. Charles, Reps. of, address Cookstown, owned 23 acres.
Thomas Charles, address Cookstown, owned 3 acres.

Kildress Community Projects produced a history of the area: "Rolling Back The Brambles" in 2003 which contains lots of photographs, history and information.

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Annette,

Jackson Charles has kindly let me have a look at The Family Register from an old Family Bible which starts with John Charles (December 1834 to 1923) and ends with Verona Charles (January 1891 to 1973).

Jackson's grandfather Jackson A. Charles (October 1884 to 1960) moved to Ballynahinch in Co. Down in the early 1900s and established a business which is still run by the family today.

The specific dates of birth are not shown nor the place of birth but I think most were born in Kildress.

Christopher 

Offline hedgehog55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I have catholic ancestors who were married at the Catholic Church at Dunnamore in the mid 1840's, I have found the record but it only gives townlands, not  fathers of bride and groom.   An archivist told me recently that in those days all had to marry in the established – C of I church.  Do you know if this was the practice?  Also have the C of I records been copied, or can they be viewed locally?
Regards
Michael Burns

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 June 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
hedgehog55- The original poster of the thread was Annette who never posted again after the replies here.
Do you mean the Dunnamore between Cookstown and Omagh?
Early (pre-registration) church marriage records often just give date, bride, groom and their residences (the townland would have been the only address in the country). Civil registration of Catholic marriages did start in 1864 but Catholic churches were allowed to perform marriage ceremonies before that date.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline adoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 April 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
Annette,

Jackson Charles has kindly let me have a look at The Family Register from an old Family Bible which starts with John Charles (December 1834 to 1923) and ends with Verona Charles (January 1891 to 1973).

Jackson's grandfather Jackson A. Charles (October 1884 to 1960) moved to Ballynahinch in Co. Down in the early 1900s and established a business which is still run by the family today.

The specific dates of birth are not shown nor the place of birth but I think most were born in Kildress.

Christopher 

I don't know whether I can be of any help, but Jackson Charles is my father and I know we have family in Cookstown. I have stumbled upon this completely by accident! The family business is still going strong and my brother now runs it with his wife. My parents are still there part time. I notice this was a thread from some time ago, but if Annette does come back to itI might be able to find out more.