Author Topic: John Charles - Kildress, Cookstown  (Read 11158 times)

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Charles - Kildress, Cookstown
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Although I am not researching this family, there are a number of Charles baptisms available in the Derryloran Parish Church website - Parish Registers:

http://www.derryloran.com/ParishReg/index.aspx

These are in PDF format - I recommend saving the files to your PC as browsing is easier.

By the way, I have in my tree an Elizabeth Artt who married Alan Charles c. 1969.

Best wishes,

Eddie Kelso
Antrim (originally from Cookstown).
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)

Offline stevefrmOz

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Annette,

Jackson Charles has kindly let me have a look at The Family Register from an old Family Bible which starts with John Charles (December 1834 to 1923) and ends with Verona Charles (January 1891 to 1973).

Jackson's grandfather Jackson A. Charles (October 1884 to 1960) moved to Ballynahinch in Co. Down in the early 1900s and established a business which is still run by the family today.

The specific dates of birth are not shown nor the place of birth but I think most were born in Kildress.

Christopher 

I don't know whether I can be of any help, but Jackson Charles is my father and I know we have family in Cookstown. I have stumbled upon this completely by accident! The family business is still going strong and my brother now runs it with his wife. My parents are still there part time. I notice this was a thread from some time ago, but if Annette does come back to itI might be able to find out more.

Hi ,

Like Annette mentioned in the thread I am related to John Charles ( my GGFather) who came to Inglewood, Queensland Australia from Cookstown.  My interest is that I will be travelling to Northern Ireland in August 2011 and will be staying at Portadown, I very much like  information about my ancestors. I have a family photo of the Charles Family at Inglewood, will find it and attached later.
Steve

Offline adoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I am currently visiting my parents in N Ireland and we got around to chatting about this thread! Christopher who posted here originally was a tenant in my father's property above the business until he (Christopher) died a few years ago.

I wonder whether you managed to catch up with any of the family in Cookstown at all while you were here? I'm sorry we didn't get any further with this until now....this is of great interest to my father (Jackson) in particular and the family Bible is here in their home with the above mentioned names recorded in it.

All the above information is correct and refers to members of our family in Cookstown. The maker of the CD (or cassette at the time) was around my age and I met her a few times many years ago - this was way back in the 80s! Her father, Dennis, I think, was a cousin of my late grandfather. I'd like to get back to this and my parents might one day like to visit Australia, so there is much interest in learning more about the family members who moved to Australia and their descendants.

I'm trying to find out more, although I now live in England and am not home as often as I'd like to be, and we leave here again tomorrow, but the Charles family from Cookstown are well known to our family in Ballynahinch. I'm happy for you to pm me and I'll see what I can find out. I'm sure we have contact details for the Cookstown family members. I've now shown this to my parents, so they are keen to learn more.....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 11 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Another Charles, Kildress thread here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=564628
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hedgehog55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks (belatedly) Aghadowey.  Yes, the Dunnamore between Cookstown and Omagh.