Author Topic: James FALL in RIPON  (Read 3042 times)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James FALL in RIPON
« on: Saturday 18 December 04 17:23 GMT (UK) »
In 1843, an ancestor of mine, James FALL, son of William Fall, Farmer, married Mary Buck, daughter of Anthony Buck a Hatter. They married at Ripon Cathedral.  Both were “of full age” and both signed their names. The witnesses to this marriage were Thomas Fall and Jane Buck.
James described himself as a draper, but by 1859 when a son, Frederick William Fall was born,  he was a Registrar of BMD’s in Ripon. His address then was Water Skellgate, Ripon.
This is all I know about James. He does not appear in the 1881 census and I do not know which, if any, of the Mary Falls are his wife as I have no idea of their birth dates.
Has anyone come across this family in the 1851 or 1861 census, or does anyone know of any other dates (off bmd certificates) which may extend my knowledge of how long he served as a Registrar.
Any help would be gratefully received as I live in Anglesey and it is difficult for me to go to Ripon. Many thanks, Angela
After the helpful replies I now have them in 1871 census, have identified Mary in 1881 census and have pinpointed their deaths. YIPPEE.  Now..... if anyone spots them in the 1851 or 1861 census it would be the icing on the cake.  Many thanks again to all who helped.
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: James FALL in RIPON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 04 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,  Found them in 1871 for you if that helps...

1871 Census RG10/4277 folio n/k page 2 Aismunderby with Bondgate, Ripon
James Fall head 62 registrar of births & deaths Yorks Ripon Mary Fall   wife   50          "            "           wife    "          Anthony Buck Fall   son 20   Millwright      "
James Charles Fall   son 17   Saddler      "
Elizabeth   Fall   dau 14   Scholar      "
Frederick William Fall son 11        "      "
Thomas Walsh brotherinlaw 28 Butcher        Yorks, Bingley
Margaret Wright Walsh sister    30     " wife      "   Ripon
Emma Walsh niece     1        " daughter "   Bingley

Best wishes, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 13:01 GMT (UK) »
And in 1881 - James obviously died before then

1881 census RG11/4318/120 p.2       7 Bondgate, Aismunderby Cum Bondgate, Yorks                     
 Mary FALL  Head  W  Female     60  Ripon, York, England     Occupier Of The House     
 Anthony B. FALL     Son     U     Male     30     Ripon, York, England     Millwright     
 Elizabeth FALL     Daur     U     Female     24     Ripon, York, England     Daughter At Home No Occupation

Barbara    
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 04 14:43 GMT (UK) »
This has nothing to do with James Fall but wondered if you would be kind enough to lookup William Harrison born Bondgate,Ripon circa 1842.
He was living at 5 Railway View,Ardwick with wife Sarah Ann & daughter Sarah Ann aged 3 in 1871 census.
My great grandmother Sarah Ann Harrison was at the same address for the birth of her children in 1872 & 1873.Her married name was ROBERTS (husband George ROBERTS) and children Thomas & Elizabeth...maybe just a coincedence !!!! Searching a connection between William HARRISON & maybe sister Sarah Ann HARRISON born circa 1852/53 !!
Sarah Ann ROBERTS emigrated to Australia with husband & children in May 1877..hence not in 1881 census.Sarah Ann may have had sister Elizabeth HARRISON born circa 1857....married William TINKER in MARCH 1877 in Bradford,Lancs ...Elizabeth gave her age as 20.
Thanks in advance
Kimberley
Down Under !

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 05 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Don't know whether it's of any interest but I think one of my Jeffrey relatives married Frederick William Fall, son of James.

Marriages Mar 1883
Fall  Frederick William    Thirsk  9d 550)
JEFFREYS  Eliza     Thirsk  9d 550 

Eliza was the daughter of Thomas Maude Jeffreys and Mary Bean.

Eliza and Frederick were in Huddersfield in 1901
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline rosir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:42 GMT (UK) »
this has nothing to do with james fall ,just saw your family name interests
my maiden name was spence and i am trying to find any long lost relations
do you have any connection with spence family
hope to hear from you
bye for now rose