Author Topic: Adami STURGES  (Read 21465 times)

Offline RDMETimmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adami STURGES
« on: Sunday 09 September 07 14:07 BST (UK) »
I really need some help deciding where to go next with my tree. Traced the Bedfordshire Sturges back to Adami Sturges who registered his first birth Richardus in 1682. Married to Elizabetha Pettit in 1681 in Poddington. I have searched surrounding counties best as I can but can't find where Adami came from. Anybody any ideas where I can look next?

Tim
Sturges in Befordshire

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Adami Sturges
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 07 14:17 BST (UK) »
Could Adam have ben married before as on Boyds marriage index, there are two marriages of an Adam Sturges, the one you mention and the following.

Adam STURGES
An BLACKLY

1679 - Bisbrooke, Rutland

======

If not, then maybe this is the area where your Sturges originate from
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Welcome to Rootschat!

The marriage in Rutland that Sue found on Boyd is also on the IGI on 8 Feb 1679 .  It may well have been the same couple who baptised a son Adam on 13 June 1680 at Tilton, Leics, 6-7 miles from Bisbrooke, (extracted entry so reliable). No other children to this couple in Tilton though.  Adam and Elizabeth also baptised a son Adam in Puddington in 1700, implying that if it is the same Adam senior that the 1680 Adam had died before 1700 (there's no burial in Beds)

Neither Rutland nor Leics burials pre 1800 are on the NBI, but it would be worthwhile to check Tilton in particular to see if an Ann Sturges was buried in 1680/1 and also Adam their son.

These seem to be the earliest Sturges entries in Puddington, and the Adam who married there had to have come from somewhere! Proving it is going to be the problem.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim
Welcome to Rootschat :D
Jumping ahead or rather back, if the Rutland/Leicestershire Adam turns out to be yours there is mention of a 1662 Will for an Adam Sturges of Billesdon (a stonesthrow from Tilton) in
"Leicestershire & Rutland: - Index to the Wills and Administrations proved and granted in the Archdeaconry Court of Leicester 1660-1750, and in the peculiars of St. Margaret, Leicester, and Rotblen and the Rutland Peculiars of Caldecott, Retton and Tirover"
and another, also for an Adam Sturges of Billesdon, in 1559 in
"England: London - Inquisitiones Post Mortem for the City of London, Wills and Adminsitrations, 1561-1577
 Transcripts of Wills, 1559-1579."
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline RDMETimmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
 :D It would be great if this is the Adam I am looking for but I have some problem swollowing Adam travelling right across Northamptonshire to end up in the tip of Bedfordshire. Does anyone have any possibilities from Northamptonshire or Buckinghamshire which are less than two parishes distant?

I will definately do some research into the Rutland connection.

Thank you
Sturges in Befordshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 07 21:22 BST (UK) »
Oh that it were that easy. How I wish all of my ancestors were married less than two parishes distant! If you believe that he was from within 2 parishes it's a pretty straightforward job to order those parish registers in Northants within a 5 or even 10 mile radius of Puddington and check them out. Which of course pre internet and IGI is how it had to be done.

But was 40 miles that far?

However as he was probably born during the Commonwealth period when parish registers have large gaps in them you may have to accept that his baptism wasn't recorded.

As Northants is particularly badly covered on the IGI why not try a request on the Northants board for a look up in Northants Marriage Index to see if any Adam Sturges were married there in the 17th/18th centuries? It might give you an alternative parish to research

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Tim

Have you seen the original entry for the Adam Sturges/ Elizabeth Pettit marriage? Worth a look if not as if you're lucky there might be additional information eg Adam's parish of residence if he wasn't 'of this parish'. Could lead somewhere.
I certainly wouldn't discount the Leicestershire Adam - 40 miles wouldn't have been that difficult to travel even in 1680 (stage coaches went at an average speed of 4 mph) and if is a fairly direct route.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline RDMETimmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 September 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
 ;D David & Jan

Thanks so much for your advice. I think you are right, I will put a cast out on the Bucks and Northants pages to see if there are any hits and look to investigate the Leicester area.

Hope you have helped me get past this sticking point though travelling further back is going to be a learning experience.

All the best

Tim
Sturges in Befordshire

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 September 07 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I have just looked on Genuki for information about Podington, and it seems that the registers didn't commence until 1662, so it is feasible that your Adam was born there.
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"