Author Topic: Adami STURGES  (Read 21464 times)

Offline marylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adami STURGES
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 October 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
Right, now I've got my avatar sorted I can delve further into the Sturgis lot.
I've got a David Sturges I'm trying to find out about. He was born out of wedlock to Ann Sturges who married William Barnett in 1826 when David was 4. They originate from Keysoe but IGI have nothing that connects. I really need a 1841 census to try and find where he was. If his father is the William Barnett I would like him to be then he won't be around as he died in 1836.
I also want to link Ann to the batch of Sturgis's I've already got. She was also know as Susan or Susannah........?????
Ho hum...............no one said it would be easy..........but they didn't say it would be this hard either................lol
Pendered, Rogers, Haddon, Barnett, Smith, Hale

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Where was William Barnet buried?

Why do you think Ann Sturges who married William Barnet is the same person as Susannah who was the mother of David? IGI (extracted) also has a marriage of Susannah Sturges to Joseph Eatherds on 6 Feb 1826

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline marylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine checked the parish records in the area and the only birth to a single mother then was David to Susan Sturges in 1826, the same year of the marriage.  I've had a few Susan's and Susannahs aka as Anne or Hannah, on both side of the family so it seemed to be the norm.
I did see the other Susannah but as it was the name Susan that was used on the records I went with that.

An order was filed in 1824 for maintenance to be paid to Thomas Sturges, father of Ann Sturges for child born out of wedlock and the order was removed in 1826 the year they got married.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
A2A shows bastardy proceedings mentioning Ann Sturges of Keysoe with John Warner in 1820, and against Susannah Sturges of Keysoe with John Edmonds of Swineshead in 1821. Then there's a further bastardy case "Filiation order against William Barnett of Keysoe, labourer, reputed father of a male bastard child of Ann Sturges of Keysoe, singlewoman, born on 17 March last at the house of her father Thomas Sturges, at Keysoe. Barnett and Sturges each to pay 1s. 6d. for maintenance of the child. - ref.  P48/15/10  - date: 28 April 1824"

With extracted marriages of both Susannah and Ann Sturges in 1826 in Keysoe it seems as though these were separate people.

As David's mother is given as Susannah I think you have to take this at face value, particularly as you say he was aged 4 in 1826 which fits much better with a birth of 1821.  Neither of Ann's illegitimate children appears to have been baptised.

I'll see what else I can find in censuses (which to date has been zero!)

I can't see a burial of William Barnet in Beds in 1836

David

Offline marylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 October 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.
I got my info from A2A.......only found Ann Sturges and William Barnett though.
What I'm hoping is that this William Barnett is father to James Barnett, my gt.gt.grandfather. I know James father William was deceased when he got married in 1836 and I've been trying to find him in between looking for other rellies. 
I may end up having to pay for a birth cert. for James.

What is a 'filiation order' exactly ? Is it the same as a 'Bastardy order' or is it something a bit different ?

As for where William was buried.well I'm a bit lost on that one too. James was born in Keysoe so I was concentrating on that.

I'd shelved these queries for a while hoping they;d seem a bit clearer and easier with a fresh look but it seems as big a puzzle as ever......................lol

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 October 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry, you've lost me.

You say James married in 1836. How do you know his father was deceased, as fathers' names were not shown until 1837? This implies that James was born probably before 1816, but I can't see a baptism in Keysoe. And birth certs didn't start until 1837. Was this family non-conformist?

And if James married in 1836 Ann Sturges is unlikely to have been his mother

David

Offline marylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 October 07 18:08 BST (UK) »
Ooops................sorry David...........got that a bit wrong -in fact totally muddled -put it down to senior moment !

Right, here we go..........James married in 1859 aged 23 so he was born 1836, Says on the cert. Father - William Barnett deceased.
James was living at Hargrave before he got married and afterwards then the whole family moved to Newton Bromswold, then on to Knotting.
James married Emma Fisher from Hargrave. She was 21.

So sorry about that..............trust me.............if there's a wrong way............... ???

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 October 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
I think this might be your family in 1851:
HO107/1751 folio 33A
Brook End Rd., Keysoe
William Barnard head marr 50 ag lab b Keysoe
Ann Barnard wife 50 b Keysoe
Richard Barnard son unm 22 ag lab b Keysoe
John Barnard son unm 20 ag lab b Keysoe
Sharlott Barnard dau unm 17 lace maker b Keysoe
James Barnard son 15 ag lab b Keysoe
Charles Barnard son 12 ag lab b Keysoe
Elizabeth Barnard dau 9 b Keysoe
Eliza Barnard dau 2 b Keysoe

Looking at 1861 I'm sure they're your family
RG9/985 folio 43A
Brook End Keysoe
Ann Barnett head widow 61 lace maker b Keysoe
William Barnett son unm 37 ag lab  b Keysoe
Elizabeth Barnett dau 19 lace maker b Keysoe
Eliza Barnett dau 12 lace maker b Keysoe

William's age is spot on for him to have been the illegitimate male son who gave rise to the Filiation Order in 1824.

And in 1841 indexed as Barnes, and the final letter could either be an s or a t without the bar.
Brook End Keysoe
William Barnet 40 ag lab
Ann Barnet 41
William Barnet 18
Richard Barnet 14
John Barnet 11
Sharlot Barnet 9
James Barnet 6
Charles Barnet 3
same house, separate family unit
William Barnard 20 ag lab
All born in Beds

So William Barnett died some time between 1851 and 1859.

Coincidentally (and I don't believe in coincidences) there was another Barnett, William, also living in Hargrave in 1861, born in Gt Barford, Beds. I wonder if there's a connection between the Keysoe Barnetts and the Gt Barford family.

So going back to your original query I think David was the son of Susannah Sturges who subsequently married Joseph Eartherds on 6 Feb 1826. Susannah and your Ann may have been sisters but it would take more work to prove this as neither was baptised in the established church, at least not in Beds.

There's a burial at Keysoe of Susanna Ethards aged 35 on 12 July 1832 and in 1851
HO107/1751 folio 36B
Joseph Edwards head widower 51 ag lab b Sharnbrook Beds
Elizabeth Edwards dau 21 lace maker b Keysoe

On the IGI there is a baptism of Eliza Ethards on 14 Oct 1827, daughter of Joseph and Susanna, and I suspect that Edwards/Ethards may be the same people. No sign of David Sturges though - I can't see a David born Keysoe that fits in any census, nor is there a burial in Keysoe, or anywhere else in Beds 1826-46. He seems to disappear.

Regards

David

Offline marylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info David. ............I looked on A2A again last night and found a Removal Order for A William Barnet and Ann (ref.R48/13/2/17) dated 29 Dec.1826 to Molesworth Huntingdonshire but had no luck tracing David on IGI at all.
James Barnett, Williams son, who married Emma Fisher had a son, William but he wasn't born until 1873.
Mind you that doesn't mean there wasn't an uncle or someone around and Barnett being a relatively common name it could well have been someone not linked at all.
At least it looks like you solved the problem of whether David belonged to my lot or not.
Thanks for your help.