Author Topic: Annie Nicol 1875 Completed  (Read 14213 times)

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dad & His Nephew Clifford
    • View Profile
Annie Nicol 1875 Completed
« on: Monday 10 September 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi just wondering if anybody could help me in my research as i seem to have come to a dead end !! I am searching for a Annie Nicol born in Edinburgh about 1875 she married James Ernest crick in england (Oldham) in 1896, i have there marriage certificate which tells me her father was Peter Nicol (deceased).I don't no when they came to england from Scotland, don't know when her father died, don't know her mothers name. She was my greatgrandmother so any help would be really great.I have her on the 1901 census living with her husband in oldham but thats it.!

Many Thanks for Reading this Yvonne :)
Jones ,Mullany,Crick,Nicol,Crosby,Turner,Jolly, Harris,Wilcox, French,Welsh/Walsh,McCauley,Flatman,Booby,Scoles,Brown,Prowse,
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Nicol 1875
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck so far - what was her father Peter's occupation?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
I've been having a look too. I've found two Ann Nicol and variations in Edinburgh but neither with a father Peter  :(

1874 and 1877. Did she have another first name?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for both replying, All i have is her marriage cert Which gives this info,

Annie Nicol, Age 21

When Married - 30 May 1896

Where Married- St peters Church Oldham Lancashire

Fathers Names - Peter Nicol

Rank or Profession- Deceased

When i find her on the 1901 England census with her husband james Ernest crick It say's Born
Ebingbro Scotland, Birth 1875, She is still being called annie.

Sorry but thats all i got both my parents are dead and all older relatives that would of been any help were dead before i was born. So i have nobody to ask.

Thanks again Yvonne ???
Jones ,Mullany,Crick,Nicol,Crosby,Turner,Jolly, Harris,Wilcox, French,Welsh/Walsh,McCauley,Flatman,Booby,Scoles,Brown,Prowse,
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering if the 21 means 'over 21' - sometimes 'of full age is written' on early certs but this is a bit late.

Have you found her on early censuses?

I'll have a look later - or someone else might - I'm out this morning.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

I've been looking for all sorts of combinations on the 1881 and 1891 censuses - in England and Scotland - and can't come up with your Annie at all at the moment  :(

The 1901 gives her age as 26 which is consistent with her age at marriage. She was older than her husband so I'm wondering if she was a wee bit older than she admitted to but there's no way of telling.

The only possible so far in the birth registrations is a Mary Ann Nicol, born 28 April 1875, Bainfield or Barnfield Terrace, Edinburgh - St George District. She was illegitimate. Her mother was a Maggie Nicol, a comb factory worker. Not really sure about this at all.

People didn't have to produce evidence of their age or parentage on marriage and many people used fictitious names for their fathers to disguise illegitimacy - my own grandfather included!

Did Annie have any children? If so, what were there names?

I'll keep looking but this is definitely a bit more difficlt than normal.

Regards

Gadget

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I see what your saying about age difference but it was only a year on the marriage cert he was 20 she was 21 so it could have been she had her birthday that year and he had not if you get my drift.

As for children her and james had 5

Francis crick Abt 1898 (Cant find death or on census 1901 with parents?)
Charlotte louisa crick 1903 - 1969 ( My grandmother )
Annie crick 1905 - 1995
Jenny crick 1907 - 1994
Lily crick 1911 - 1994
Possilbly a james ernest crick 1897 - 1897 ( Maybe still born )
All born in oldham lancashire
Cant find death of james ernest crick born Abt1876Or annie crick Nee nicol !
Thanks again for trying to help me Yvonne
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

I noticed on the 1901 that James Ernest had birthplace Not Known and aged 24. I've just found a possible birth registration for him. Not sure whether you've seen it:

James Ernest Crick, Hunslet, West Riding Yorkshire,  June Quarter, 1877, Vol 9b, page 344

It's the only James Ernest around that time.

It's not your Annie but it's a start  :-\

Gadget

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 13:15 BST (UK) »
Yeah that is my greatgrandfather James his side off the family has not caused me to many probs His father was robert h crick and mother eliza jolly i have got a good way back with the cricks, Its just my greatgrandmother annie nicol thats a headache.
thats my grandmothers side sorted if i could trace her, then it just my grandfathers side they are mullany and thats doing my head in to !! :-\ yvonne
Osborne, Lear.