Author Topic: Annie Nicol 1875 Completed  (Read 14210 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Nicol 1875
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
Also wondered if there was a particular marriage addess for Annie which could be tracked down in 1891 and 1901 to see who was there ?

Cheers  ;D
ANBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dad & His Nephew Clifford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
I think anythings possible just found a peter nicol on the 1891 england census age 33 on a navy vessel in dock says born in scotland and married but that dont help unless i can prove when he died and maybe where if it was in the navy, because my peter nicol was dead before Annie married in 1896, So he must have been somewhere Bettween her birth and marriage Arghhhh He! he!  ;D
Jones ,Mullany,Crick,Nicol,Crosby,Turner,Jolly, Harris,Wilcox, French,Welsh/Walsh,McCauley,Flatman,Booby,Scoles,Brown,Prowse,
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
I think anythings possible just found a peter nicol on the 1891 england census age 33 on a navy vessel in dock says born in scotland and married but that dont help unless i can prove when he died and maybe where if it was in the navy, because my peter nicol was dead before Annie married in 1896, So he must have been somewhere Bettween her birth and marriage Arghhhh He! he!  ;D

Her address on marriage cert is 31 Foundry street Which as far as i know was in Oldham her and james seem to be living at same address before marriage !!
Jones ,Mullany,Crick,Nicol,Crosby,Turner,Jolly, Harris,Wilcox, French,Welsh/Walsh,McCauley,Flatman,Booby,Scoles,Brown,Prowse,
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 15:02 BST (UK) »
Also how do you look for a certain Address on the census , Im using Ancestry to search but there nothing to type an address in is it just looking through every census page until you find the right one or am i missing something !!  ???
Osborne, Lear.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I try a few ways

One way - look up the address on the 1881  then try find someone at it or in neibouring houses   in 1891, or 1901  and THEN see if you can find your target address in 1891, 1901

Another way: Google the street name with keywords like town or county plus Census and year. You'd be surprised at the number of times someone can be found on a street near your target house with that method!

Another: Find a street Index which lists that street for the Census you want, that way you get the right Piece and Folio etc to start trawling through

Another: For 1901, Use the Address Search on the Official 1901 Census at
http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
In this case: Someone is lsited at that address in 1901:
31 Foundry St,  Oldham St Thomas
That much is free - then you has to pay your money to see whi is actually there.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info , My heads spinning at the moment its alot harder than i thought this is just one bit im stuck on im sure there will be more, thanks for all the help again yvonne
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
Re Ambly's suggestion: I had checked on the Peter/Patrick and on the Mc/Mac - nothing in the Edinburgh region around those dates.

I did find a very interesting family in Oldham on the 1891 by the name of Affleck. Father was a Francis; Mother Annie and a daughter Annie, aged 16. There was also a brother, Peter and other siblings. The older ones born Scotland. Annie was a cotton worker as I recall.

The names and Annie's age seemed similar to some of yours. I did check for a marriage of an Annie Affleck (1891-1895) but nothing came up in Oldham. I'm wondering if her mother might have married for a second time and all the children were down as the same surname as the father. I haven't followed this up any further.

It's something to consider as she doesn't seem to be on either of the earlier censuses that I can see  :-\

These things did happen!

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks gadget, you might have hit on something there My aunty who lives in canada give me some info a few years ago and the surname Affleck came up but because i had her as Nicol on Marriage Cert i didn't pursue it, I think i will do some more checking to see if i can confirm or not as the case maybe if indeed these are the same people, I'm still wondering About the peter Nicol i found onboard a navy vessel but dont know how to find out when that one might have died. Thanks again i will keep looking       

Yvonne
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yvonne

Well done to Gadget - this must be the right family.   Francis Affleck, 27, bachelor, Tinsmith married Annie Macauley ,22, machinist, widowed, on 15/8/1879 at 7 Richmond Lane, Edinburgh.   Francis was the son of Francis Affleck, carter, deceased and Janet Affleck, m.s. Ferries.   Annie was the dau. of Daniel Macauley, carter, deceased and Ann Macauley, m.s. McNiel.

As with one of my own ancestors, Annie remarried without mentioning her married name (I was stuck for years!).   Peter Nicol married Ann McCauley 11/10/1875 Edinburgh - Peter died 20/1/1878, at 10h 0m, at Brunstone, Pencuick aged just 22.   He died of 'Exposure to Cold'.   Wonder what the story is here.   He is shown as a Type Founder, son of Margaret Nicol, domestic servant, now married to Michael Moore.   The informant of his death was Michael Moore, Step father.

A year before Peter and Ann married Ann had a daughter - Annie McCauley b.26/10/1874, d. of Annie McCauley (IGI) and this would appear to be your Annie Nicol.
Ann would only have been c.17 when she had Annie and Peter around the same age.   Perhaps parents wouldn't let them marry then.   Who knows.   

Can't help wondering how Peter came to die of exposure to the cold.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk