Author Topic: Latin on Grave and memorial - Help please  (Read 18702 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Latin on Grave and memorial - Help please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 March 09 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to interpret the coat of arms other than to say that the first and nineth quarters would seem to contain the arms of the senior (paternal) line.  Unfortunately the division into nine quarters(?), which is most unusual, has destroyed any clear idea of relationships.  I would expect that reading the other quarters from left to right and top to bottom would give some indication of seniority

There is probably a shield that belonged to an earlier generation which would be "properly" divided into quarters and sub-quarters.

I can't work out what the crest on top of the helmet is supposed to represent.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
"armigeri" on the second slab normally means that the person is entitled to bear heraldic arms. Alternately it can mean 'a shield bearer of a knight' which by the 17th century was archaic and probably meant an attendant on a great personage.  I'd tend to go for the first definition.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments and help David,

My lack of knowledge about heraldry is only surpassed by my lack of knowledge concerning the ancestors of George Pike. So unfortunately I can't help with any ideas on who the extra quarters refer to except I did find the following comment in a booklet concerning this coat of arms

"His monumental inscription contains much genealogical detail, and the coat of arms has nine quarterings, including such early coats as Argentine, Delapole and Mortimer.  Although he has left the lions of England alone, it is a heraldric curiosity"

Re the Crest: As far as I can see (on a larger copy of the coat of arms), the crest appears to be a horse with a saddle except I think his head has been broken off at some time.

Thanks also Robert for the Latin translation. I also think that the "armigeri" relates to the bearer of heraldic arms as the other two options don't seem to apply in the case of George Pike.

Thanks a lot for your help

Di

Edit: added a larger copy of the crest (brightened for easier viewing)
I think it looks like a headless horse - any other ideas?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly the half a dozen Pike crests which I have found are all either pikes or figures holding pikestaffs.

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking David. I also haven't found arms that have anything that looks like this although I have yet to see the Visitations for Cambs or Essex where George lived.

Di

Offline Honey Bee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 December 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I'm a first time poster :-\ I think I might be able to help with more info - I have had some success with interpreting coats of arms - so would like to look a bit more closely at the shields at the top - can you tell me where this is or provide a better resolution pic? Take a look here:  http://www.layston-church.org.uk/memorial8.html - if you link off from the home page you will see a family history section - it might help!  :)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 December 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Honey Bee - welcome to Rootschat

You've joined a great site where everyone is very kind, helpful and generous with their time.

I have a better copy of the shield/coat of arms that may be easier to "read" but you may find the original even easier as they are in a church close to you - Holy Trinity in Meldreth   ;D

Good luck with your church.

Di
 ;)

Offline Church123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di,

I think this might be what your after .....

In memoriam Georgii Pike Armig / cuius exuviae non procul abhinc iacent reconditae/ cuiusq coniugis fuit Margareta filia Edwardii/ Woodcott de Ipswich Gen ex qua/ tres habuisset filias, Annam (Gulielmi/ Violet de Norfolk Generosi uxorem) Ceciliam (Tho James de Hartford  Gen uxorem) et Mariam (primo Tho/ Pritchard com. Cantab Armig dein/ Jacobi Whitlock de Buckingham Armig/ uxorem)  mortua Margareta duxit Eliz/ Iohan Gore, Lond mil filiam qua/ habuit Paulum Georgium et Elizabeth (primo Gregor Baker Stafford/ gen mox Iohan Crowch Com Hertford/ gen uxorem)  Obijt Sept 11 / Anno 1658  Aetais Suae Sexagesimo Septimo.

In memory of George Pike Esq whose remains lie buried not far from here and whose wife was Margaret daughter of Edward Woodcott of Ipswich, Gent., by whom he had had three daughters, Anne ( wife of William Violet of Norfolk, Gent) Cecily (wife of Thomas James of Hartford, Gent.,) and Mary (first wife of Thomas Pritchard of the county of Cambridgeshire Esq, then of James Whitlock of Buckingham Esq.,)  On the death of Margaret, he (George) married Elizabeth daughter of John Gore of London kt by whom he had Paul, George and Elizabeth (first wife of Gregory Baker of Stafford Gent and soon after of John Crowch  of the county of Hertford Gent.)  He died Sept 11 in the year 1658 aged 67

I'd love to take all the credit for the translation and I did start most of it off but a good friend of mine, who knows more about Latin than I ever will, finished the difficult bit's off for me. (Thanks Anne & Joyce)

Regards
Interested in Butt's, Crowch, Slatholme, Turner, Turnor in Layston and Buntingford in Herts