Author Topic: Latin on Grave and memorial - Help please  (Read 18701 times)

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
Re: Latin on Grave and memorial - Help please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 17:26 BST (UK) »
It dosnt sound like a big deal but `Master of the Horse` was a very important post at court and meant that the holder had very close contact to the monarch, hence the reason Elizabeth The First appointed Lord Robert Dudley to the title when she became Queen!! ;) I am just wondering if what you describe as `Horse Master` could be the same thing.

Oooo, how exciting and if it is it shouldnt be so hard to check on.

Shall I have a word with Prince Charles about your fare back to England? He only needs to sell a couple more pots of Dutchy jam to raise the money. ;D ;)

Linda.

Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isabel - I'm only assuming that Elizabeth was his dau. but in the will of George Pike he mentions his daughter Elizabeth who was unmarried and under 21 at that time (pre 1658 when George died)

Elizabeth married Gregory in 1661 - she was a spinster, aged 22/23. She was a widow aged 24 when she married John Crowch.

I believe that part is correct - but will keep my options open at this stage.

Thanks for the Horse Master information Linda. Now that you mention the term "Master of the Horse" it does ring a bell. It certainly sounds like the same thing. I have googled for days trying to find any information about this but found nothing to substantiate the rumour - but then I didn't see the term "master of the horse either"  ::) - so it's back to the drawing board with that one.  :D

Thanks

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 07:08 BST (UK) »
I cant see him on this list Di but thought you may be interested!!

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43902

Linda
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda, that is a very interesting article. It certainly sounds like an importand role - can't really imagine one of my lot that high up but stranger things have happened  8)

As you said, George's name wasn't mentioned but that article covered the time after the death of George. I tried to find an earlier list and when I searched for "george pike" Master of the horse" I actually found at least one article on the British History site. Unfortunately the article is only available to subscribers  :(

So it's back to googling around again .....

Thanks for your help

Di

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have just heard (rumour at this stage) that George Pike was "Horse Master" for King George 1. That's probably one of those things that one can't even check so it will probably stay as a rumour for now.  ::)

there should be somewhere that you can check this out.
maybe records of staff for the royal family

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni,

Thanks for that idea. I have just noticed that I wrote King George when it should have been Charles 1st   :-[ - anyway, I don't think it matters much as I'm sure it was just one of "those" stories  ::)

I have actually just found a list of Masters of the Horse back to the 1500's and although it is incomplete, George Pike's name is NOT on there.

So as a finale, I know he was in Parliment, most of his in-laws were peerage or VIP's and that's probably the best I can imagine I will ever know.

Thanks everyone for your help and time

It is very much appreciated

Di

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,

i don't know if this helps you (from Berks FHS) :~

The Royal Archives, held at Windsor Castle, comprise personal and official papers of the Sovereign and some other members of the Royal Family from 1760 to 1952 - from the reign of George III to that of George VI. Papers of earlier monarchs are, for the most part, held at the Public Record Office at Kew. Papers of the present reign are transferred gradually to the Royal Archives when no longer required at Buckingham Palace.

The Royal Archives holds an index of Household employees from 1660 to 1901, known as the Household Index. This index is mainly compiled from the records of the Lord Chamberlain's and the Lord Steward's Departments from 1660 to 1837 in the PRO and from various printed sources such as The Court & City Register and The Royal Kalendar. Information from Household records in the Royal Archives is gradually being added. The information in the index is generally limited to the name, post held, the dates of employment (in some cases with details of salaries and pensions) and the relevant PRO, printed or Royal Archives references.

For employees before Queen Victoria's reign, the Archives hold a limited number of establishment books and other records of service, although these tend to give little detail other than name and post held. References may occasionally be found in the correspondence of George Ill and George IV. Unfortunately the papers of King William IV do not survive.

Enquiries about records in the Archives should be addressed to the Registrar of the Royal Archives, Windsor Castle, Berkshire SL4 1NJ, and enquiries about photographs to the Curator of the Royal Photograph Collection at the same address. There is a basic research fee of £10 plus VAT (as at Dec 2000). Charges for photocopies and photographs can be supplied on request.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Toni,

That sounds like it may be worth writing to them to see if they have anything in the early/mid 1600's. Although I understand information for that time is rather limited.

Isn't that typical, just as you've found a really interesting branch, the information dries up  ::)

Thanks for your help

Di

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 14:35 BST (UK) »
Ah, so its Charles 1st!!! Sorry I should have noticed, George died a couple of years before the restoration!! I must be slipping!! A very interesting time to be in parliament as long as you were on the winning side of course!! ;) I am sure we can manage to dig up a bit more than that on him Di. I will have a think. :-\

Linda.
Garvey- Ireland.