Author Topic: Melvaig/North Erradale/Gairloch - MACKENZIE  (Read 7170 times)

Offline chis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Melvaig/North Erradale/Gairloch - MACKENZIE
« on: Tuesday 11 September 07 20:30 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather was Duncan Mckenzie from N Erradale.  He married Jannet Mcdonald in 1807.   Large family.  Anyone connect with them?  Thanks

Regards Anne

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MELVAIG/NORTH ERRADALE/GAIRLOCH - MACKENZIE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 07 09:22 BST (UK) »
Whilst I was reseaching our Hector Mackenzie b April 1810 I was given the 1841 census of Gairloch Parish beautifully set out in surname order according to each township.I am happy to pass this on to you.

With so many Mackenzies in North Erradale I was ready to set all aside for a while and do some background reading. However, Lady Luck was with me and I found the line written up in the "History of the Mackenzies" which as it turned out was written by Alexander Mackenzie ,Hector's son. who lived at Park House,Inverness.
Find it on line at http://www.fullbooks.com/History-Of-The-Mackenzies9.html

Hope this helps,
Fransmoi.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline chis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MELVAIG/NORTH ERRADALE/GAIRLOCH - MACKENZIE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 07 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for reply.  Would be great to receive 1841 census of Melvaig/Gairloch.  Have you found what you were looking for re Hector and Park House?  Could maybe help.

Regards Anne

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Melvaig/North Erradale/Gairloch - MACKENZIE
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 00:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Anne,

So kind of you to offer to help solve my Mackenzie mysteries but I am almost resigned to failure. Will try to be brief but you know what these Mackenzies are like ..............

My grandmother Mary C Mackenzie b 1875 was orphaned by the time she was 15 and lived with her father's sister " Aunt Annie" -Mrs  MacLennan- in 1 Albyn Place, Island Bank ,Inverness.

Amongst Gran's  possessions I found a lengthy obituary for Aurthur Henderson Mackenzie b 9 Feb 1880 one of 11 children born to William Mackenzie ,an Inverness clothier who died 11 Dec 1923 at his home"Erradale" ,Ladies,Walk,Inverness (a house he built) and his wife Annabella Grant who died there 21 Aug 1920.

I was told the family at "Erradale" had a lady cousin living nearby and I believe that was my gran or her aunt .During my search I was made the generous gift of the family bible found in the attic  by the present owner of the house who also shared all the papers pertaining so adding to my knowledge.

It was by great good fortune I found that this clothier William's brother was Alexander  Mackenzie, Park House who wrote up all those clan histories including his own which placed their father Hector born in Gairloch parish in April 1810 but cheated of his birthright had to make his own way in the world.
Hector Mackenzie married Catherine Campbell on 17 Feb 1838 and we find the family in Strath in 1841.

My gran's line I can take back to the farms of Teanagairn and Kinkell in the Black Isle parish of Wester Logie. According to his gravestone ( one of 8 to his family in Old Urquhart Cemetery) my grt grt grt grandfather Alexander Mackenzie died in Teanagairn 6 Sep 1843 aged 82 giving him a birth date of 1761ca.

Was he too from the West coast ? We  may never know. And why did his son John say on the census he was born in Fodderty where living descendants of the MacGregors of Loch Ussie maintain they were cousins of my grandmother ?
Methinks Gran was a lady with many mysterious cousins ! To add to the confusion that son John b 1805 ca married a Mary Mackenzie .She died young and he married Ann Henderson.

I think the 1841 Gairloch census will be too large a file to attach here, Anne, so perhaps you can let me have your e-mail address by leaving a personal message here. Same goes for anyone else who might like to use it.

Fransmoi
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline chis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hullo Frances

We have met before in Yahoo!  I am still searching for Duncan's parents.  He was born about 1780 and was a weaver in North Erradale.  Cannot find a death for him, think it must be around 1848.  I am now going down his sister's line to see if I can find any clues there and am now involved with the Frasers from Strath and Lonemore.  Have found some.

You can go right back to Alexander 6th Baron of Kintail.  Have you the genealogy for his lineage?  I'm the one who told you where Park House was. 

I am sure I am connected to Annabella's brother Duncan.  I have made contact in NZ and am awaiting a package, but with the strike, I am chapping at the bit.

I can't really help.  William and Alexander had brother Roderick and another Alexander  and another 3/4 siblings.  You probably know all this though.  Have you read the Gairloch book?  Very good.

My email address is (*).  I think we are the only ones searching, seems to be anyway.

Regards Anne

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Alan Stewart

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 January 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frances

Would it be possible for you to let me have a copy of the 1841 census of Gairloch too?

I'm trying to determine whether my GG-grandfather John Mackenzie (born in Gairloch around 1800) is the same John Mackenzie who was baptised there on 20 September 1799, the son of Hector Mackenzie (tacksman of Inverasdale, and descended from the Mackenzies of Sand) and his wife Margaret Morison.

Unfortunately, neither the certificate for my John Mackenzies's death in Alvie in Inverness-shire in 1875, nor the parish register entry for his marriage in Kirkmichael in Perthshire in 1832, mentions the name of his mother. Only his father's name (Hector Mackenzie) is on the death record.

The 1799 John had a sister Isobell, who was baptised on 20 April 1794, and my John had a sister Isabela, who was with him in Moulin in Perthshire in 1851. Unfortunately, I can't make out whether her age is 54, which is about right, or 34, which would make her much too young to be the 1794 one.

My John was a gamekeeper, and I e-mailed the Gairloch Heritage Museum a couple of months ago to see whether they have any records that would mention a John Mackenzie who went off to Perthshire. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do!

My e-mail address is (*).

Best wishes

Alan

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 January 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Alan,

My computer does not like your e-mail address  - please contact me direct at
(*).
Cheers.
Frances in Inverness.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,